What is your biggest gripe about your hangar?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It's only 60x70 feet. Way too small

Also has polycarbonate skylights in the roof. Never doing that again. Too much direct sunlight on the floor. Much rather control the lighting with electric lighting than the angle of the sun. They also leak on those few day per year rain actually falls from the sky. Natural light in next hangar will be on the North wall only.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The shape of the hangar (large T) is the biggest complaint. If it was a square hangar I'd be able to put a lot more in there, workbenches, tools, hardware storage, etc.

The doors on mine are a small PITA compared to other doors I've seen. Many others are far worse than mine, but I still suffer from crippling "hangar envy" when I see someone flip a switch and the bifold door just raises itself.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
VB, remind me to show you mine. Pull one pin; push once. (The door; not a button. No electrics required.) Can't leave them fully open in a storm, though; they only weigh a few hundred pounds each, and they make great sails.

edit: What Toobuilder said about lights/windows; don't use clear unless you enjoy cooking (yourself) and being blinded. White does work pretty well, though. Both my doors (42' & 30') are skinned with white Suntuf polycarbonate. Hangar faces more or less East, and the sun is never a problem in the morning with them shut or open a foot or two. Great light; no glare.

Charlie

Last edited:

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
My biggest gripe (other than wanting more sq footage) is that it only has 12' eaves. 14' would have given enough height for a decent mezzanine in the back for storage. It would be nice if the main hangar was sealed and insulated, but hey, it's a hangar. The lean-to (30x48) is well insulated everywhere except the 30' door, and does have heat.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I moved in before the recommended 6 months of concrete slab floor cure time before applying an epoxy coat. Have not yet (almost 13 years later) committed to moving stuff around to finish the floor.

Hangar lighting is adequate for storage. This winter, I plan to add a high intensity light, probably LED, in the front center, over the engine / cockpit area.

BJC

PiperCruisin

HBA Supporter
The hanger I rent leaks and the twin roll-up doors require a center post which is really heavy. But it is a cost I can live with till I throw my back out. Really fun when one of the rollers derails.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I'm renting a T-hangar, and my biggest gripe is water intrusion along the bottom of the door/door rails. There's adequate (gentle) slope on the apron, I think this is water that is driven against the door by winds, etc. The easy answer (sealant/caulking between the inside slab and the metal rail base) didn't work. My next attempt will be a very low (approx 1/4”)gently sloped concrete "curb" on the inside of the rail base. Challenges:
1) Getting a watertight, freeze/thaw resistant bond between new concrete and old (may be impossible, even with latex bonding agent). I've had very good results using Rapid-Set cement (a calcium sulfoaluminate cement) in thin repairs to Portland cement, so I'll probably try that.
2) Avoiding the creation of a wintertime ice sheet near the door threshold.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
To small.
My hanger is 48"x60' and my daughter's was 50'x60' and both to small. If you have the land, build as big as you can afford. One of my neighbor has a 60'x60' with 16' walls, that is about the very minimum.
60'x 100' with 16' walls , 48' bi-fold door, open span, insulated and heated and AC would be nice with 8' fans handing down from the ceiling.

Last edited:

Wanttaja

My wife is talking about moving, and nowhere we're looking at has hangars available. So I might end up having to put one up...this thread is coming in handy.

What do folks do security-wise? I might end up at a small airport with little restrictions for people coming by. Are you putting in alarms, or....?

Ron Wanttaja

Hephaestus

it sold in under 9 hours from being listed.

The new hangar projected turn over is june 2022...

TFF

So far my non compliant is I haven’t had to pay rent. I have had good friends.

I have a list as I have had to maintain them for those friends. Doors. Not one be has a good door. They all break. Bifold that get stuck up, cables, motors and brakes, rigging. Track doors and tracks. Every type from airline hangars to home made wood and fiberglass. I’m actually surprised people aren’t hurt or planes crushed more often.

The airport management. Not the people, the policies. People are just stuck enforcing.

Good lights. Most bigger hangars have sodium lights or something like that them. Lots of space with dark at night if you do anything more than park.

Although I have seen airports with pretty ratty hangars. I have always been in decent ones. Small leaks sometimes, but never like some I have seen. I saw one on that had 3” of water on the floor a week after a rain. They got money for it.

Now that I’m not near my plane since moving, the airport close by has no open space. 100% full of RVs and bass boats. No airplanes. Crop duster has his own hangar and is airport manager. Open T and the common are all non airplane. I don’t want to force someone out and have them pissed enough to mess with my stuff. Yay for small town and being new.

Dantilla

Too far away.

I have a lot at the local airport where I can squeeze a 70x70, maybe even 70x80.
Building costs are ridiculously high right now, so the lot sits empty while the airplane projects are in my 40x48 hangar almost an hour away from my house.

Progress will be much quicker once everything is close to home.

Keep the ideas coming! I don't wanna play "could've, should've" when standing in my brand new hangar.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
What do folks do security-wise? I might end up at a small airport with little restrictions for people coming by. Are you putting in alarms, or....?
I guess we are pretty lucky here in southern Ohio, there just haven't been theft problems in our little suburban airport.
I'd think the best practical option is similar to other security issues: You can't make a hangar into a vault, but you can make your hangar less attractive than other options. It is amazing that some folks use very cheap locks and take no steps to make the hasp harder to cut. If you can pick a hangar in sight of the ramp, FBO, etc, that is good. Lights are good. Solar motion lights can be put anywhere. Surveillance cameras are cheap, and even a fake one with a blinky light and placed under a hangar eave might encourage a thief to pick a different target.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

There is no perfect door. They all have the + and -.
This is absolutely not true. I just sat through this discussion with another builder this week.

If dirt effin cheap isn't your #1 goal, your options open much more. If Dirt cheap and less than a month between send check and receive product - you have a LOT more options.

See where this derails 99.98% of builders?

This is what I'm thinking for the new hangar...