What happened to the Smith Miniplane DSA-1 ??

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

Last attempt was the DSA 2000. There are plenty of lovers, but it’s been around. You can scrounge up some plans pretty easy. Starting a new one is not very economical. Plenty of projects that can be had for a the price of a set of flying wires, and fliers for wires, and raw materials. Sad.

Economics wise for new builds, Pitts M12 and S1-11B are the only biplanes “worth the effort”;Cubs for monoplanes. The DSA-1 isn’t the only plane like this. All small rag and tube planes. Stardusters, Bakeng Duces, Stits Playboys. You got to want one, and the only support is going to be forums, so you got to be confident in solving building problems. Except the dare to be different crowd, the main reason it’s not popular is because in 1963 Mr Pitts released S1 plans, which of course you knew. That’s what everybody wanted in the first place, and there was no need for a substitute anymore.

fly2kads

Supporting Member
Parts were never offered for the Miniplane. It was a true "scratch-built," as you have to make just about everything. This led to an interesting phenomenon: the Miniplane was customized by its builders to a degree seldom seen anymore in the modern era of pre-fabricated kits.

Pops

Supporting Member
I'll bet it was a quick "clearing turn"... :)
Wish it was. As the tailwheel was just about to touch down I hit a rough place in the grass runway and it balanced and came back down in a crab. I stopped the ground loop with a brake but by that time I had made a 90 degree turn and went off the runway into a hay field that was about 3' high. Hay hanging on the lower wings and wires and struts. I cut a path out in the field. No one came to help, so I just locked a brake up and spun it around and cut a little more hay getting back on the runway. Only damage was my pride.

My first airplane that I built (in high school: mid-70's) was a Smith Miniplane. Dorothy wrote on the plans, "You can do it, Andy!" and that kept me going. I sure learned a LOT building her. Back then, kits were still considered cheating and for sissies who couldn't strike up a conversation with the local airport geezers to find out good sources for parts and materials.
There's one for sale at Spruce Creek for $11K on Barnstormers, with an O-235. Looks nice...

PMD

I seem to remember someone in CYBR building one in the early '70s. The description of the finished product was: takes off at 60, climbs at 60, cruises at 60 and stalls at 60. I guess each one was indeed "unique" - and that one probably very underpowered.

TFF

There is one at my old airport, I almost got it as a project. It’s small. The guy who use to own it was small but wide. I never sat in it because I didn’t think I could get out without help. I can support myself on the cockpit edge of my plane and grab the top wing. It was only aluminum sheet around the cockpit and no wing grab. The top wing sits about a foot lower than my Starduster.

collector

There is one at my old airport, I almost got it as a project. It’s small. The guy who use to own it was small but wide. I never sat in it because I didn’t think I could get out without help. I can support myself on the cockpit edge of my plane and grab the top wing. It was only aluminum sheet around the cockpit and no wing grab. The top wing sits about a foot lower than my Starduster.
Same thing happened to me building a Rose Parrakeet. First time I had the fuselage on it's gear I jumped in...had to call the kids to help me out ! Ended up putting a second cross tube ("X") in the cockpit sides so I could push my self up and out.... Something I suggest every new Keet builder adds !

Pops

Supporting Member
Same thing happened to me building a Rose Parrakeet. First time I had the fuselage on it's gear I jumped in...had to call the kids to help me out ! Ended up putting

a second cross tube ("X") in the cockpit sides so I could push my self up and out.... Something I suggest every new Keet builder adds !
Rebuilt an VW engine for a friend's Volksplane several years ago. It had a copper tubing for the fuel line from the bottom of the fuel tank to the firewall that needed to be replaced. I slide in the cockpit on my back head first. Got the line replaced but was stuck and couldn't get out. I had the airplane in the driveway at home and I kept hollowing out for help and my wife finally heard me in the house. She came out and grabbed around my ankles and almost couldn't pull me out for laughing. Don't laugh, it will hurt my feeling. :)

Last edited: