What Happened To...Le Pelican

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lake_harley

I have also been in contact with the rights owner in Canada and he has sent me all the technical drawings so I can make all the parts needed to be replaced in mine.

Cool! Does he sell the plans or is this more of a thing he does just for owners of actual Le Pelicans?

skyguynca

Great pictures, skyguynca.
Would love to see the tailfeathers.
I have an uncovered Le Pelican missing the horizontal stab and elevator and would be grateful to see photos of your planes's back end.
thanks,
Lamar
I will take some pictures for you and give you the dimensions and wall thickness of the tubing used to build the horizontal and elevator if that is what you need.

I will post some pics of my inprogress restoration of my LePelican

skyguynca

Cool! Does he sell the plans or is this more of a thing he does just for owners of actual Le Pelicans?
The Guy bought the rights to the Pelican line of planes by Ultravia. He still has everything in boxes. He is a really great guy but has so much going on that it takes a while for replies but he does intend on getting the line of planes back into the air.

lake_harley

From the pictures it appears you have the original B&S 2 Cyl 4 stroke engine. I'm curious why the change to the 2 stroke? Have you weighed the B&S? I've been curious what they weigh (my guess is 75-80# without prop and hub?).

I'd like to know more about your Le Pelican. You can e-mail me directly at winter@ccilink.net if you'd prefer.

Thanks

Lynn

skyguynca

From the pictures it appears you have the original B&S 2 Cyl 4 stroke engine. I'm curious why the change to the 2 stroke? Have you weighed the B&S? I've been curious what they weigh (my guess is 75-80# without prop and hub?).

I'd like to know more about your Le Pelican. You can e-mail me directly at winter@ccilink.net if you'd prefer.

Thanks

Lynn
No, public discussions are fine with me. I have the original B&S, it is 87 lbs and has never ran. It has also been sitting for 20 years and would cost way to much to repair/replace the parts needed, it is only 18 hp too. A rotax 277 is 26hp and 20+ lbs lighter too. I am hoping to come in light enough to use a 377 or 447 to give better climb rate.

lake_harley

87# for the B&S? The airframe must be some light tubing to have kept it under 254#. If I recall correctly I had seen specs with it advertised at well under the 254# mark.

There are several pictures on a Yahoo Group of the wing structure for a Le Pelican, but no indication of the thickness of the D-cell leading edge aluminum or the spar. Have you had the need or curiosity to check their thickness with a mic? Also, any idea of the tube wall thickness of the lower longerons and bracing tubes?

Thanks

Lynn

skyguynca

87# for the B&S? The airframe must be some light tubing to have kept it under 254#. If I recall correctly I had seen specs with it advertised at well under the 254# mark.

There are several pictures on a Yahoo Group of the wing structure for a Le Pelican, but no indication of the thickness of the D-cell leading edge aluminum or the spar. Have you had the need or curiosity to check their thickness with a mic? Also, any idea of the tube wall thickness of the lower longerons and bracing tubes?

Thanks

Lynn
Actually yes I have all that information. I am going into the weekend which is pretty busy for me at work and on Monday or so I will get you that info.

BDD

From what I've seen in "Ultralight Aircraft" by Markowski the Le Pelican seems like a good layout to me. I don't see anything ugly about it. Notice that the pilot is right under the planes c.g. and it is a tractor layout, with a 4 cycle engine. The structure, from what little I can see in drawings in the book looks well laid out for minimum weight but with a truss type fuselage. The frame looks better laid out that some other ultralights that I've seen.

lake_harley

skyguynca....In conversation(s) with the current owner of the Le Pelican design rights, has he said anything about offering plans for scratch building a Le Pelican?

Thanks

Lynn

kjkociba

The Le Pelican is an interesting aircraft, always remided me of a C-3 Aeronca. I've got an 83' that I'm rebuilding (with minor mods). Since I have an 83, it's powered by an Onan engine, I'd love to find someone with an 84 and get a copy of the FWF mount documentation for the 1/2 VW (Flying with a lawnmower engine kinda scares me :)

The D-spar of the wing pretty much makes the plane what she is, (that and the 12 to 1 glide ratio) I've had a new set of ribs cut out of aluminum (I've made a set of 2.5gal wing tanks, need to replace the styrofoam for obvious reasons). I'll take some pics of her and post it, (she's naked right now, already removed the tattered covering so everyone not familiar with the design can see the structure)

Regards

pwood66889

I believe that one on Craig's list was in Ontario, Greg. It is the `84 model powered by the Global engine (1/2-VW-a-like). I believe the price was $7200.
I recently corresponded with someone in Nebraska that has one; he's looking for a different motor (doesn't trust the B&S with dip oil system).
So they're still out there!
Percy in NM, USA

P

planeguy_randy

My have things changed while I've been away. Just wanted to share that some of the newer Onan/Briggs&Straton engine now have full pressure oil systems and would be a great little engine for a LePelican but, so would a 1/2 VW or better yet the UltraVair engine. Scott Perkins site VULA had all it's pictures wiped out and he had a sizable amount of photos. I want to get into the air so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wail:

BDD

Any pictures to post especially that one that's being worked on? Any word on plans availability? VULA might have had some plans.

pwood66889

I looked at VULA's list, BD, and there are no LePelican plans there. Working with the persons on this list seems `bout our only hope.
Percy in NM, USA.

individualist

I own and fly a "Le Pelican" 1984 with its original Global engine. This aircraft was sold as a kit only and came with an assembly manual. I don't have this assembly manual but I heard it exists. It was never marketed as a set of plans; that's why they are not available.
You

kjkociba

I do have the assembly manuals (THANK GOD) although there are no dimensions in it. it's a pure assebly manual, no plans.

P

planeguy_randy

A set of plans can be had by good digital pictures and someone that is re-building one doing a little bit of measuring the placement of tubes. That would go a longggggggggggggg way to us getting a set of plans made by someone who (this list) is very savy with CAD. I for one would give $100 for a complete set. I would also like to see a "D" cell type wing instead of two tube normal UL type wing. Any one up to the challange???????

Randy S. Hager