• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What fuselage wing configuration gives you the best veiw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

Do you prefer a high wing to look at the gound? A low wing to look at the clouds? A pusher so the prop and engine are not in front of you, and the pilot can be further forwards of the main wing? A tractor so a canard does not block your view? A strutless high wing, so no strut blocks your veiw?

What about the fuselage? Do you like to be fully open? Head sticking out? Full windshield with open sides? Transparent fuselage? Open floor? Or fully inclosed for best soaring?

Do you have less wind in your face with a pusher? Cleaner air? I'd think a bigger propeller would mean slower air moving past you, and also quieter, but could make engine off soaring more difficult.

My plan is a high wing, pusher with high canard, tranparent skin, transparent fuselage, full windshield, and open sides. I'm not sure just how open I want everthing to be, but I want a good view, good feel of the wind, but not too much drag so I can still glide a bit. I also want a big, quiet propeller that folds back for gliding. Struts would make it a lot stronger, but I want them to be thin or tranparent. Nothing sounds better than the natural wind blowing by, and the feel of it, but I don't want drag to make me drop out of the sky either.

Back