Well, I got a bird

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by Derswede, Jun 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 19, 2019 #1

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

As mentioned in another thread, I got a CGS hawk. Will be looking for some parts, etc. Would like to ask the collective wisdom of the group on quality wing envelopes. Any particular recommendations? Will be needing a nose wheel as well, the one on mine failed due to rust while moving it.

Finding a place to put her was another question. Decided to put it into my warehouse. Having a 200kg winch already mounted from a ceiling I-beam, I moved everything out of the way and winched her up. Decided that it was not good enough, so I did my best "Y'all watch this!!! Sumone hold mah beer!!" move and added two straps (forklifts are great as ladders too). I don't really trust wire rope, so the two 1,000 lb rated straps add a comfort level. As for what if, if all lets go? The forklift safety cage is good for thousands of lbs and should not have a problem holding the airframe up if something lets go.

So,I will release straps, winch the plane down to work on it, and back up when work interferes. Any info on the CGS hawk would be appreciated. Soloed in nosedraggers, will still get some dual in a TD LSA bird, something with similar flight characteristics. Maybe a Champ or a J-3? Will have a nice 2000 foot runway to use, and some hanger space in trade for mowing.

Derswede
    hawk 2.jpg Hawk1.jpg

2. Jun 20, 2019 #2

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    When you get the tail wheel installed take her out and do a lot of low and moderate speed taxi to learn to use the rudder peddles. Learn to hold the stick full back against the stop.
    You can do that before you get the dual in the J-3 or whatever. Hawk will not bounce or float as much as a J-3. PM for more training advice if you like.
    Can do all of the above before the new covers arrive.

3. Jun 20, 2019 #3

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Jedi, it is currently a nose bragger, the nose wheel fork shaft was rusted thru, so pondering converting to a tail wheel. Looking at the plans now. Been looking online for any info to make such a conversion, but have not found anything. Only have a few tail dragger hours in our old Monocoupe D145, but am pondering a week at the Blue Ridge Sport Flight facility in Hendersonville, NC. Pricy, but not too far from me. Any tips are Much Appreciated!!

Derswede

4. Jun 20, 2019 #4

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I like it! Always a fan of the CGS.

5. Jun 20, 2019 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Welcome to the not quite flying project club. May you finish before me, but I hope not. Looks fun.

Battler Britton likes this.
  6. Jun 20, 2019 #6

Pops

Pops

Pops

Me too.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  7. Jun 20, 2019 #7

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Lol. I have no idea what you are talking about. Haha

wsimpso1 likes this.
  8. Jun 20, 2019 #8

robertl

robertl

robertl

"Y'all watch this!!! Sumone hold mah beer!! When I read that, I was going to ask if you were from the South, but I see you mentioned Hendersonville, N.C. I worked a few jobs at the Oconee Nuclear Station and on my one day off each week, I would drive to Hendersonville to get some tail wheel time with Greg, he's a pretty nice guy.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  9. Jun 20, 2019 #9

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Congrats on the new bird.

You asked about envelopes... are you going with the traditional painted Dacron aircraft coverings (like Stits or Stewart), or with all-weather sailcloth? Does the Hawk give you both options without reinforcing the wing ribs?

If you convert it to taildragger, it will require a reposition of the main gear mount... is there structure in place to support a forward location?

10. Jun 20, 2019 #10

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

You can use traditional dacron on the fuselage with no changes, but you would need built up ribs to use dacron on the wings. The built up ribs that CGS used were the type designed by Ed Fisher for the Skylight ultralight. Aluminum angles bent to shape and plastic "widgets at the front and back to fit the wing spars. I'm sure any reasonable built up rib would work (see Texas Parasole). When I recovered my plane I bought sailcloth covers from Great Salt Lake Sails, 368 W. 200N. Kaysville, Utah 84037, (801) 544-5526.

I also had to replace my landing gear. The parts include the steel landing gear bracket that rivets to the boom tube, a couple of exterior aluminum tube doublers that also rivet to the outside of the boom tube, and a steel "H" fitting that fits inside the boom tube and prevents the tube from bending inward. These parts are probably still available from CGS Aviation. The process is to position the H fitting inside the tube at the correct location and then install the exterior aluminum doublers. These doublers are glued using PC-7 paste epoxy and rivets. You use big hose clamps to get the doublers tight to the boom tube. Finally, the steel LG bracket is glued and riveted to the doublers. Here are a coule of pics that sort of show it. newtank1.JPG right side.JPG

bmcj likes this.
  11. Jun 20, 2019 #11

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

If you can fly at all you won't have any trouble with a Hawk taildragger.

12. Jun 20, 2019 #12

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Originally from just north of you, Monroe,NC. My father was the airport manager of the old airport there for some time.

Derswede

13. Jun 20, 2019 #13

robertl

robertl

robertl

It's a small world, I got my tail wheel endorsement there several years ago and flew all three of the Champs they had then. Haven't flown out of Monroe for a couple of years though, I've been getting a few hrs in a 172 and looking for a partner to go in on a 150 but, I would like to have a CGS two place.

14. Jun 20, 2019 #14

wwalton

wwalton

wwalton

I agree Greg here in Hendersonville is a great instructor. You may want to call him and check on airplane availability, I think he sold his Champ he was instructing in. Either way enjoy the Hawk.

15. Jun 20, 2019 #15

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Guys, a thousand thanks for the comments and advice. Am working on getting the engine off, as it has sat long enough I would feel much safer with at least an engine refresh. (Gaskets, seals, check pistons and rings, de-carbon and reassemble with fresh O-rings and seals. Radfordc, thank you for the photos and info on the covers. Have decided to repair the front gear fork and keep it a nosedragger for the moment. That will get me flying sooner.

Robert!, there is a two place Challenger kit on Craigslist at the moment.Think it in the Tenn. area.

Derswede