• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vision testing is it an area to be restested?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Why are our vision tests based on arbitrary definitions for individuals such as pilots?

When you get your vision tested, what are you looking for?

I propose that vision tests for pilots should be based instead on what they would be most likely to be more adapted to seeing; a letter at 40,000 feet a mile away? Or a fast moving hawk at one mile below?

I question whether or not vision test standards apply to pilots, and whether or not some sort of "emergency" standards be set in place, due to the acute lack of "jobs" in America today, and the recent article in Pilot Training magazine, which said that the airlines are supposed to be starving for pilots very soon.

Also, as a side note; if everyone flew airplanes, everyone would be a pilot, and I believe the numbers may back me in saying that the more people involved in an activity, the more the net cost of said activity is reduced.

EDIT: Title change, "Vision testing; is it an area to be retested?" The edit title button did not appear when I clicked "edit post".

Last edited:
Back