• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vinylester vs Jeffco - pros and cons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I know that a number of well-respected forum members strongly advocate Vinylester resin, but I am working through the pros and cons of VE vs Jeffco epoxy at the moment without any clear preference.

As far as I can tell, the only major advantage which VE has over Jeffco is its higher HDT

Price-wise, they are similar (Jeffco 5 Gall = $336, VE = $295)

Jeffco is very easy to work with, no smells, easy to mix, cures well etc. VE uses MEKP - not so nice. But I haven't actually worked with it.

One of my main concerns is the frequent mention of the fact that VE is not that good when it comes to secondary bonding. Since there will be a fair bit of secondary bonding when I bond the fuse halves together, the two sides of the Strongback together, bond the shell to the Strongback, bond in the bulkheads, seat etc etc, I was wondering how much of a concern this really is. Or are the secondary bonding issues of VE overplayed?

And if I paint the aircraft white, is there really any benefit from VE's much vaunted HDT?

So, as you can see, I'm not particularly coherent about this yet - so any pointers, tips, rules of thumb, experiences etc regarding the use of either of these resins would be good.

Regards,
Duncan

Back