• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VGs or slats...which work on the 701/750?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowrider

According to my wife I have too many airplanes so I sold my RV-4, leaving only my C-170. I've been flying for 42 years and I'm concerned about medical issues cropping up in the future so I'm set on building an LSA just in case. I've always wanted a Super Cub so that is my first choice but scratch builds on them seem to streach out forever and while I love building, I want to be able to fly too in case I loose the use of the 170. Second choice is a Zenith 750 or 701 because of the shorter build time and good off field performance.

Doing some research on the 701/750 and the Savannah VG there is a lot of discussion on using the Zenith wing without the slats and replacing them with VGs. Of course, the VG venders are all in favor of using them and not the slats and apparently, as reported, the VGs work as well on the Zenith wing as the slats and it takes away some of the "bad habits" of the Zenith wing when it comes to power off landings. I used to fly an Aztec with VGs and they did seem to help down around VMC so I'm not opposed to using VGs.

I'm looking for real life experience with the Zenith wing and opinions with and without the slats and using VGs in their place. Leaving the slats off a build would save a little weight but I'm really looking for performance experience related to the devices and not just increases due to weight reduction.

Thanks in advance and fly safe!!

Back