ULF-2 Motor glider

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by Beragoobruce, Jul 8, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 8, 2016 #1

Beragoobruce

Beragoobruce

Beragoobruce

Has anyone on this forum built one of these?

I'm getting post-build syndrome after completing my MiniMax, missing my time making sawdust.

The ULF-2 looks a very well designed plane, & is one of the very few motor gliders available. I'm particularly interested to know of people's experiences with the belt drive 32hp Citroen Visa car engine specified as its powerplant. Looks good with its wide poly vee belt & pretty CNC'd ally parts. But does it hold up in the real world? I doubt the German certification authority would let it fly if it were not well proven, but there are many here on this forum who claim lightweight car engines are very hard to make work as aero engines - particularly with PSRU.

I'd love to hear some first hand experiences.

2. Jul 8, 2016 #2

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

The wiki page seems to say it passed some German Certificates of Airworthiness.... with that engine... Alles Gute! The Germans are pretty much sticklers when it comes to safety...

Maybe its just this video, but it sounds really noisy in the cockpit.... I think the Citroen Visa will be common to France and Europe, but will you be able to get your hands on one "down under"?

I once was picked up as a hitchhiker south of Paris by an old guy in an old Citroen Duck... didn't understand a word of his French, but I could make the sign for tent with my hands (campground). Not too many American's can say they've ridden in a duck! Being such a huge fan of minimalism, I wish I had known more then about what I was riding in at the time.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. Jul 9, 2016 #3

Beragoobruce

Beragoobruce

Beragoobruce

Hi CG

Yes, the engine is an interesting choice. Low power, but high torque, especially through the belt reduction drive.

I love the Citroen 2CV cars. when I lived in England, I had 4 of them at different times. They're a lot of fun to drive, once you get your head round the motorcycle lean angles going round curves. A great example of French lateral thinking - almost on a par with Issigonis' Mini.

You're probably right in thinking there won't be too many scrap cars around over here. I would consider using a 2 stroke, but the firewall would need to move quite a long way forward to get the cg right. Then the tail volume would then need to be adjusted. . . and so it goes on! Maybe direct drive 1/2 VW.

The ULF motor glider looks good, though.

4. Jul 10, 2016 #4

homebuilderfan

homebuilderfan

homebuilderfan

5. Jul 11, 2016 #5

Beragoobruce

Beragoobruce

Beragoobruce

Thanks homebuilderfan. That looks good!

6. Jul 11, 2016 #6

homebuilderfan

homebuilderfan

homebuilderfan

Yes. It looks good. I have alredy posted the link because: a) it is a good project (not a new, not proven, claimed, never flown, etc...). b) when I was looking for something relating light aviation it was really hard to come away from old (sometimes also ugly) "foreign" (not italian) projects.

P.s. I am not related to the designer in ANY way. This is simply a little bit of national proud...

Fabri

7. Nov 8, 2019 #7

Prototype demonstrsights a nice compound wing fold.

dino likes this.