• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Uhg.. I'm the worst!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

ppillera

I (most likely like many of you) am having a difficult time deciding on an aircraft to fit my mission. I'm hoping maybe someone here can assist.

The mission in question is..

I would like an aircraft that I can scratch build for <10,000 (just the airframe, not avionics or engine), that I can equip with a VW engine, and that cruises at >~100mph/160kmph. I don't care if it's high, mid, or low wing, and I'm pretty comfortable working with wood and mig welding. I've done a little bit of work with FG, and I've done a fair amount of tig welding, but I'm not the BEST at it. It's been about 15 years since I've done any oxy/acet welding. It only needs to seat one, and I'll be taking off from airports or air fields (paved, dirt, or grass, but nothing crazy). I have no interest in aerobatics but if it maneuvers quickly, I won't complain.

Anyone have any ideas?

I was looking at the SD1 which is a cool little single seat and I might be able to do the airframe for <10k, but the only one that was flying in the US crashed and the pilot died. Granted he was doing things the plane wasn't approved for, but when the ONLY one crashes, that's just shakes me up a little bit. There's also the sonerai or the KR aircraft, but I'm not sure I could scratch build them for <10k (again airframe only).

Back