• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

tubular wing tank through rib lightening hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcjon77

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about ways to add fuel to my Sonex . Initially, my plan has been to add a small aux tank in the baggage compartment. I will more than likely still do this, however, CG issues prevent me from having as much fuel their as I would like.

Recently I have been checking out these aux tanks for the RV series of homebuilts.

The thing that most intrigued me was that the tank is essentially a tube which slides in the first lightning hole of the forward rib. I REALLY Like this system as opposed to standard wing tangs for my sonex because it can be retrofited to the plan without tearing open the wing. Based on the diameter of the lightening hole and the length of the wing, I figure that I can get at least 5 gal. per wing.

For my sonex, the aux tanks would dump directly to my main (fuselage) tank.

Each wing is about 9 feet long, with 13 forward ribs per wing See this pic . The wings are tested to 9gs+ (ultimate) at 950lbs. My rough estimate is that with full fuel, the system should weigh no more than 36 lbs per wing. That would put a stress of less than 3lbs per rib. Baffles would be installed to prevent sloshing, and each tank could be emptied into the main tank in 5-10 mins.

The actual venting and plumbing of the system will be designed later. What I am interested in now is whether this would create an excessive strain on the wing. Personally, I don't see how, but that is why I am asking here.

Do you know of any other aircraft that use such a tubular aux fuel system? What do you guys think of my idea? Any info would be appreciated.

Back