• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Triplane Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdwings

Hi everyone,

I love unconventional or unique aircraft designs and concepts. An aircraft configuration that I have always been fond of is the triplane. Unfortunately, and understandably because it is not a very aerodynamically efficient configuration, there does not seem to be a lot of literature or data for triplanes. Most aircraft design books that I have read only briefly mention triplanes, if at all, and simply state that they are not suitable for most applications. While for most applications, a triplane is probably indeed not the best choice due to its high drag, I have always thought the triplane seems like a great solution for an ultralight or backyard flyer who's primary purpose is recreational flying. For an aircraft that is just meant to put a smile on your face and fly relatively slow it doesn't need to be the most efficient, slippery machine. I'm imagining designing an aircraft similar to the Pensuti Triplane.

With that said, it seems very difficult to find any data or literature for someone wanting to design a triplane. Is anyone aware of any resources or perhaps has any experience with triplanes and can share some knowledge or point me towards more information? For biplanes there are formulas for calculating the lift-curve slope such as Munk and Glauert but I haven't found any for calculating the lift-curve slope for a triplane for use in stability calculations or even simply setting the incidence of the wings.

If anyone can be of help that would be fantastic! Thanks!

Attachments

• Pensuti Triplano.jpg
    Pensuti Triplano.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Pensuti Scale Model.jpg
    Pensuti Scale Model.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
Back