• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tractor engine, twin boom...just because?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I like twin boom designs in general, and I like H-tails, but just like H-tails there isn't always a reason to use twin booms. Pusher props and jets and sometimes twins, sure, but for a typical single tractor-engine monoplane, there's not much justification. About the only arguments that I could come up with are:
  • Cargo carriage: A pod and twin boom arrangement (like a baby C-119 Flying Boxcar with a single engine on the nose) is one configuration to work if building a mini cargo plane with rear loading.
  • Handicapped access: Similarly, a twin boom design might also be a good setup for a light plane that allowed handicapped access by simply rolling up a rear wheelchair ramp.
  • Shipping a kit: A twin-boom design could help reduce the size of any one piece of a kit to allow shipping via ordinary mail or parcel services rather than freight.
  • Building in a small space: A twin-boom design could also facilitate building in a very small workshop.
What do folks think? Are there any other good reasons for this configuration? Would a good-looking single tractor-engine aircraft with twin booms still be appealing? Here are a few examples to get the creative juices flowing.

EDIT: I made a few tweaks to clarify that I am talking about a single tractor engine here.

MIles M.58 mixed-power naval fighter (unbuilt)

11BSPWW2.jpg 12BSPWW2.jpg

Transavia PL-12U AirTruk

1696274254682.png 1696274675952.png

Conroy Stolifter (single turboprop conversion of Cessna 336 Skymaster piston twin)

1696274596841.png 1696274483537.png

Last edited:
Back