• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thoughts on what to build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

Long time reader of your forum here. Have thought about building several aircraft for years, but have not been wanting to take anything on that I may not complete. Briefly, I am an experienced craftsman in other disciplines. I have plans for an two axis ultralight, (Skypup) and some older part 23 manuals, and a set of text books appropriate for an A&P course.

That being said, I just can't seem to shake the idea of building something more complex, more expensive, more time consuming, and beyond liesurely sport pilot or part 103 aircraft.

I often dream about a beautiful Pitts special. I have a gaggle of considerations:
1) Could I be happy with a two aileron S-1C? At my age, I may well never progress to any significant competition.
2) Why are builders/pilots moving up to other stinker models, or down to less expensive beginners aerobatic aircraft? Does the S-1C not fill the need for some pilots?
3) Is the SS model that much more expensive, complex to build and rig? Four ailerons, different airfoils, slightly bigger rudder?
4) Since the original was designed to operate on an O-200, would an continental IO-240 be a good choice for an older guy? a bit more power, and relieve him of some of the management with FADEC? *Caveat- cost. I would likely have to buy a Teledyne Power plant brand new. Do I really need an O-320 or O-360 for my mission?
5) Could I reasonably get training to be competent in a high wing loading Pitts? *I can get tailwheel current locally with a Champ, T-craft, Cub, but would need something a bit faster on final to feel comfortable with a transition to a single place Pitts.
6) Is there anyone else going through the effort to build one from scratch?

Back