• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Thoughts on an all metal Jodel D9, Falconar F10 or Druine Turbulent Derivative? For Taller pilots!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I am planning to buy an Avid CNC router before year end as I need to get my list of tools I need together as I will need the write-off. I already have a Tormach PC1100 I plan to finally set up this winter and a 100W laser cutter not for metal though. Anyhow, I was thinking it would be a good project to design something I could cut on the Avid that uses either the small Briggs type engine, half VW or O-100. I have always been a fan of the Druine Turbulent and the Jodel D9 but being tall it would never work for me so the thought came to mind to mod it a bit to work in metal and stretch the cockpit a bit for a taller pilot. Headroom is not an issue in either but a roll over bar would need to be made regardless.

I was thinking to buy a few sets of plans to study that are similar.
A set of the D9 and F10 for sure as geometry guides.

For the metal airplanes to study I was thinking:
Hummel H5 or Hummelbird
Teenie Two
BK-1 (designer passed away so no plans available other than 2nd hand)
Would love to buy a set of Onex plans off a builder who finished.
Thatcher CX4 ( I already have these)
Any others to consider?
Anyone have any on my list that is willing to sell?

If the polyhedral wingtips were retained in the D9/F10 it would be cool to have them fold up like on a Onex and also use the paddle aileron connection.

I will be in France for Christmas and if there are any plans built aircraft similar that are not sold in the USA (for litigious reasons as usual) I could buy them while there.

Marc

Back