• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thinking of designing/building a custom aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trfsrfr

Hi all,
I just joined. I am excited to learn from you all. I will apologize now if this post is long, as I have many questions.
1st off, I am not a pilot. I do have about 10 hours of right seat time in a twin otter. But, I have around 4000 skydive's, so I think I have a decent 'feel' of flying, and am a very good canopy pilot. I fly a relatively small 107 sq. ft. canopy, with a wing loading of around 1.8 to 1.
Main Topic: I have many friends that fly a RC Zagi. If you are unfamiliar, here is their website www.zagi.com. Some without engines, some with. This is where you're gonna call me crazy, and these are all just preliminary thoughts, but I have been thinking about building a full size Zagi. Except with retractable landing gear, and a powered parachute type of engine in the rear. I was thinking that it would be built with a cutout area in the center that I could lie down in, with an extension that leads to a tail. From there I could operate all of the flight controls. It would have a small windshield ahead of me, and an instrument panel below. it would have an open 'cockpit', where my backside would be exposed. And I would be wearing my parachute rig.
I know that these RC Zagi's have very good flight characteristics, and my thought is that a full size one would as well. Since I do not know of, nor have I found anything like this that exists, I ended up here asking you guys.
I am interested in your opinions. I have a million things/idea's that I've left out because I dont want to make this post that long, but will add them if needed later.
I wonder about things like; wingspan-how long would it need to be? weight-type of construction? Engine size-how much would I need?
Do you guys think it is possible/feasible? Is it worth it?, or is there another option that already exists that would be better?
A little about me: I can build almost anything. I am a very good fabricator, with experience in many materials, cutting/welding, mechanical design, blueprints, etc, and have been a mechanic all of my life (Im 36 yrs old). So if it is possible and worthy, I can build it. I am intelligent, and have common sense.
I'm here asking for your input because I haven't found the answers im looking for, or something else that would fit my need. I love to fly and would like to have small aircraft to enjoy it with. And I would like to quit skydiving, but not quit flying. And I am not interested in an ultralight.
I will leave it at that for now. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:
Back