• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The "Schwarz Pipe" exhaust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I may have spelled the name incorrectly, but does anyone remember the thread about the rather unusual exhaust pipe designed by (Harry?) Schwarz (sp?) It consisted of multiple exits from the exhaust pipe into a surrounding chamber, which then further allowed the exhaust gasses to escape via multiple smaller exits - dividing up the single exhaust pulse into many smaller and time-shifted pulses of much lower energy. There was quite a lot of chatter about it at the time. A prototype was made and fitted to a lawnmower, and the resultant sound was a gentle hiss - so silent that one could hear the engine internals quite clearly.

I've searched for the thread, but the HBA search engine really sucks.

With all the talk about electric motors at the moment, one of the persistent benefits quoted is how quiet electric motors are, and how much more enjoyable flying behind one is. Not to mention the benefit of not annoying neighbours.

It seems to me that fitting an exhaust of this type to an IC engine would provide the much-lauded benefit of quietness, while still preserving the endurance of an IC motor.

Anyone remember this?

Duncan

Back