The JK-2 Nano

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rtfm

Hi guys,
Have you seen this one? The JK-2 Nano. Beautiful little thing. Almost makes me want to have one.

The only real thing that bothers me is the high thrust line. From the manufacturer's FAQ:

Can you tell me why I shouldn’t be concerned about the high thrust line?

We have done in depth calculations on the stability taking into account the big tail surfaces, relatively small engine power and pilot weights. The results indicate that this CG is safe. Then we performed flight tests - pilots from 55 kg to 100 kg. And there is no problem in flight. The gyro is perfect in flight. We know that in US gyro pilots sometimes believe that the CG should be on the thrust line. This was crucial when the tail surfaces were small or did not exist at all. Modern gyrocopters are quite different :)

1618869568463.png

pwood66889

If the "high thrust line" is through the center of mass, it is ok. When it causes the aircraft to nose down (or some other direction that the controls cannot bail you out from) you crash... :-(
Or that's the theory anyway.
And yet, "A flight test is worth many expert opinions" as I have said in the past.
But on the other hand, it may depend on what you're selling!
Sorry to talk out of both sides of my mouth...
Percy in NW FL, USA

Riggerrob

I always wondered why Bensen gyro-copters had such tiny horizontal stabilizers ... and so far forward. They look like little more than gravel guards for propellers.