Quantcast

Tell us what you are building!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

Banned
Hey yall, I'm currently designing a mid to low wing, wood-fabric ultralight. Goal of this ultralight is to be easily disassemblable (so it can fit in your garage or pickup) and as easy to build as possible. If all goes well, I intend to release plans so anyone that wants to fly, but can't drop five or six figures on an LSA or Cessna, can drop a grand or two at Home Depot and end up with a functional flyer within a few months of on and off wood working. Here's the fuselage and tail skeleton I have so far:View attachment 85199
I'd love to hear your opinions on this and my future work's structural stability and manufacturability.
If you want to design another 'Home Depot' plane, you need to start by spending a day in a Home depot and see what they have that might be usable. Then you will need to design around that. I believe that stuff like lumber is regional. In my neck of the woods, they and Lowes carry some usable looking white pine and tulip poplar. But, they are not very long lengths. Plywood is mostly not a high grade, so probably a dangerous structural choice without a large safety factor and bulletproof water protection. I've noticed that their pink foam is 15psi for the thinner stuff, 25psi for the 2". Next year, that may be different... Lowes used to carry Dow blue, but now carry Kingspan, which isn't as good for aircraft. Five years ago, Lowes had a lot of clear white spruce lumber, which I haven't seen since. I should have bought a load and stashed it...
A grand or two seems rather optimistic. You'll need an engine, too!

wingnutzster

Loving this thread! Im posting a drawing (not a manufacturing drawing just a general layout drawing and a theoretical/proposed development of the concept down the line) of the most promising of the two active projects in the works in terms of backers and industry involvement and actually the more complex of the two.

The Carbon Kite, much in the same vein as the AR5 and AR6 but inspired by the most influential in my lifelong study of aeronautics namely Stelio Frati, Mike Arnold, Rutan and inspired by the success stories of those like Cirrus, Shark Aero and The Airplane Factory.
At 4.4m (prop flange to tail) and a 6m span (Tip tank wing) powered by a UL250-350i and predicted to weigh in under 300kg AUW it fits in somewhere between the AR6 and the SharkUL.
Single seat at this prototype stage with a GRS recovery 240 Soft system planned. The ‘iPlane’ idea is ultra simple single display smart avionics with smart features not yet seen in light aircraft. Easy to fly, stall and spin resistant with advanced safety features. Construction: carbon shell fuselage with machined carry-through spar section and a wing construction that hybrids full composite D-box type with traditional rib and stringer construction, extremely lightweight and strong. There is a Racer version and a cruiser, the racer running the 350i and a lighter more sporty interior and a cut down streamlined canopy and racing wing tips optimizing aileron performance and minimizing drag.
The cruiser employs tip tanks to move the fuel out of the fuz and allowing space in the partial wet wing for retracting trailing link main gear.

We are in full lockdown extended but I got started with plug fabrication and hope to get back into full swing and still have the attention of the interested parties post Covid 19.

Attachments

Alex Aero UA

The new project of the aircraft VP12. Ukraine
The VP-12 is a two-seater airplane, designed for amateur flights, initial training, tourism, monitoring operations, entertainment flights, etc.
The main features of the VP-12 aircraft are a very high aerodynamic quality, which allows it to be used as a motorcycle glider in the CS-22 category, and the possibility of using an electric power plant on this aircraft. High aerodynamic quality significantly improves the safety of the flight in case of engine failure and allows to have high cruising speed, range and duration of the flight in comparison with similar aircraft.
Due to the high aerodynamic quality, the aircraft has a minimum fuel consumption, which leads to very low operating costs.
VP12e.jpgrazmah.png

Last edited:

N804RV

Last edited:

N804RV

Новый проект самолета VP12. Украина
VP-12 - это двухместный самолет, предназначенный для любительских полетов, начальная подготовка, туризм, наблюдения за операциями, развлекательных полетов и т. Д.
Основы сигналов самолета ВП-12 - это очень высокое аэродинамическое качество, позволяющее использовать его в категориях КС-22, а также возможность использования электростанций на этом самолете. Скорость полета, скорость и скорость полета по сравнению с аналогичными летними аппаратами.
Благодаря высокому аэродинамическому качеству, самолет имеет минимальный расход топлива.
View attachment 96298View attachment 96299

The new project aircraft VP 2. Ukraine

KevOzzie

Hi All - I'm building a plane based on the AirBike Tandem Plans - but using Foam, Fiberglass / Carbonfiber products as in the Burt Rutan VariEze moldless build process.
It will be a single seat STOL plane and am planning to use a 80hp motor. Either the Simonini or the VERNER Radial or the Jabiru 80hp.
I plan to fly the local STOL competition which is pretty competitive.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Hi All - I'm building a plane based on the AirBike Tandem Plans - but using Foam, Fiberglass / Carbonfiber products as in the Burt Rutan VariEze moldless build process.
An open welded steel tube truss fuselage with strut braced wings made using composites for the fuselage and hot-wired foam wings? Please post a three view and some construction photos.

BJC

Last edited:

Yellowhammer

Loving this thread! Im posting a drawing (not a manufacturing drawing just a general layout drawing and a theoretical/proposed development of the concept down the line) of the most promising of the two active projects in the works in terms of backers and industry involvement and actually the more complex of the two.

The Carbon Kite, much in the same vein as the AR5 and AR6 but inspired by the most influential in my lifelong study of aeronautics namely Stelio Frati, Mike Arnold, Rutan and inspired by the success stories of those like Cirrus, Shark Aero and The Airplane Factory.
At 4.4m (prop flange to tail) and a 6m span (Tip tank wing) powered by a UL250-350i and predicted to weigh in under 300kg AUW it fits in somewhere between the AR6 and the SharkUL.
Single seat at this prototype stage with a GRS recovery 240 Soft system planned. The ‘iPlane’ idea is ultra simple single display smart avionics with smart features not yet seen in light aircraft. Easy to fly, stall and spin resistant with advanced safety features. Construction: carbon shell fuselage with machined carry-through spar section and a wing construction that hybrids full composite D-box type with traditional rib and stringer construction, extremely lightweight and strong. There is a Racer version and a cruiser, the racer running the 350i and a lighter more sporty interior and a cut down streamlined canopy and racing wing tips optimizing aileron performance and minimizing drag.
The cruiser employs tip tanks to move the fuel out of the fuz and allowing space in the partial wet wing for retracting trailing link main gear.

We are in full lockdown extended but I got started with plug fabrication and hope to get back into full swing and still have the attention of the interested parties post Covid 19.
I really like what you have done with your design. Something different with a fighter like posture.
Please keep us posted sir!

kennyvick

Hello everyon,

I‘m in the early phase of building my own Wittman Tailwind. At this point I’m about to begin building the wood wing ribs. I’m getting my supplies from Aircraft Spruce in Corona Ca. My current airplane is hangered in Tehachap. I look forward to learning and sharing during my building.
Can I join your yeam

ksiezopolski

Trying to finish re-design of Team Minimax Eros, converting it to fibreglass design with as5016 airfoil and AeroVee engine. Wing design will be different too, adding slotted flaps and more fuel space. Carbon fibre re-inforced spars (Dual spar design and low wing).

Speedboat100

The new project of the aircraft VP12. Ukraine
The VP-12 is a two-seater airplane, designed for amateur flights, initial training, tourism, monitoring operations, entertainment flights, etc.
The main features of the VP-12 aircraft are a very high aerodynamic quality, which allows it to be used as a motorcycle glider in the CS-22 category, and the possibility of using an electric power plant on this aircraft. High aerodynamic quality significantly improves the safety of the flight in case of engine failure and allows to have high cruising speed, range and duration of the flight in comparison with similar aircraft.
Due to the high aerodynamic quality, the aircraft has a minimum fuel consumption, which leads to very low operating costs.
View attachment 96298View attachment 96299

I counted 17.1 aspect ratio. Is that correct ? Is there estimated glide ratio available ( 21 I found it ) ?

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Hello everyon,

I‘m in the early phase of building my own Wittman Tailwind. At this point I’m about to begin building the wood wing ribs. I’m getting my supplies from Aircraft Spruce in Corona Ca. My current airplane is hangered in Tehachap. I look forward to learning and sharing during my building.
There is a fairly well educated Tailwind owner (and scratch builder) an hour south of you here at Whiteman airport KWHP. Chances are he would be a good resource. Also, Jim Rust (the owner and Chief Genius at Whirlwind Propeller in San Diego) has just about the cleanest, fastest, and most optimized Tailwind in these parts. It's a work of art.

Tailwind_Fan

There is a fairly well educated Tailwind owner (and scratch builder) an hour south of you here at Whiteman airport KWHP. Chances are he would be a good resource. Also, Jim Rust (the owner and Chief Genius at Whirlwind Propeller in San Diego) has just about the cleanest, fastest, and most optimized Tailwind in these parts. It's a work of art.
Thank you. Would you happen to know the name of the builder at KWHP? I’ve visited with Jim Stanton a couple of times, and am planning to visit Red Hamilton, when I can next get away (my work requires me to quarantine after I leave the area). The Tailwind is easily supported and well documented. It’s part of the reason why it’s a great airplane to build,

-Alana

Tailwind_Fan

I’ve a got my next airplane after I finish the Tailwind. It’s a wonderful little airplane, but it’s not as easy to find another one in North America, and not so many built. I purchased the plans for a Taylor Titch, and will start it when I’ve finished and flying my Tailwind.

—Alana

girodreamer

I Have already posted that in my introduction Thread,

as asked in this thread here is the gyro I have built and nearly finished :

this is a tandem 246 kg, 122 hp (rotax 912 with the pagotto turbocharged kit) mechanical fuel pump (Flygas) , ,8.6 m averso rotor, 8000W lipo brushless pre rotator, 1.84m 3 saber blades prop , all built from aluminium 2017 (comparable to the 2024), absolutely zéro welded part except the exhausts, all is bolted ..

nearly finished, all is machined , I must mount the rotor, the wind screen, the stick, all the rest is done but I can't do it with the fo ckin confinement ..
I designed, machined and mounted it myself from A to Z (it is not a kit) .. keep my fingers crossed.....

nothing exceptional, just a gyro inspired, by the Center line thrust pattern of Juan de la Cierva dating back to the 30's , and by the american Dominator gyros.

the prop pushes the giro just under the center of gravity, the thrust is at the level of the center of drag of the fairing,

in the european gyros (copied everywhere) the engine thrust produces a pitch down moment to be compensated by an extra angle of attack of the rotor , or by pitching the horizontal stab 2° down (which consumes energy),

in the european gyros the changes in engine rpm modifies the attitude of the gyro, this is not the case on those American sorts of gyroplanes (not cg/center of thrust big offset)

in addition the long vertical rudder eliminates the P factor and the yaw effects of the rpm changes (like on the floridian air boats) all of this without having too give a permanent angle to the rudder (which consumes energy), and lastly this tall tail eliminates the engine torque effect so that the changes in engine rpm eliminates any rolling moments.

in addition the rotor line thrust passing behind the center of gravity when the gyro gets an updraft the nose pitches down and the gyro stays horizontal without any compensation from the pilot, in presence of a down draft the opposite effect occurs and the gyro stays horizontal without any pilot imput ( stability rules are respected)

in Zero G situations the gyro physically can't bunt over, and for this it does not need a huge 1.8 m wide Horizontal Stabilizator ( a smaller one less energy consuming is enough).

those gyros don't not exist on the french market then I had to build one.

the aluminium construction makes it possible to save 40 kilos compared to a stock gyro

bolted structure makes it possible to change a tube for cheap in case of a hard landing .. just a matter of unbolting and re-bolting the new tube, one don't depend on aviation welders and it it possible to only change the bent tube without having to change the entire structure.

independence the is on of my main concerns .. along with safety

lasty this gyro has 2 fuel tanks (85 liters in all) giving it a long endurance ( at least 4 hours) which is nice to reduce the fuel stress

I had already built a mono-seater and still fly it, this bird has absolutely no engine effects in yaw, roll, attitude .. magic

nothing invented by me, all the merits belong to Ernie Boyett and chuck beaty having designed and built the famous dominator

it is gonna be more interesting to see it fly then to see it now, at the time this is a simple cloths hang dryer in the garden of
my best friend

sorry for this too long boring bla bla bla

.jpg.jpg

Last edited: