For Sale Teenie 2 Price?

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by pwood66889, Jan 30, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 30, 2014 #1

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Greetings from frigid SE Alabama!

A deceased friend's family needs a good new home for his Jeanie's Teenie 2. Aircraft is located in Roswell, New Mexico, and is almost ready to fly. As in engine and all gages in, painted and antenna for hand held installed. One would have to put the wings on, rig, checkout engine (New VW 4-cyl) and fly.
    I have No Idea what this plane is worth and would appreciate help ("Whatever someone will pay" is NOT help!).

Aforesaid friend also has an Ercoupe for sale... Buy it now before the price goes up! It is painted Sea Hawk Colors!! Asking $25K.
    Pictures at: Ercoupe - JoshuaJayG

PM me or just reply to this thread. Thanx!
    Percy

2. Jan 30, 2014 #2

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Brian Clayton

Most complete flying examples of teenies seem to be listed for 4500-8500 depending on how nice. I have been watching them for a while now. Unfinished, non flying example would be considerably less, especially if there is no a/w cert.

My 2 cents. If it is a "project" with no papers, I would split the engine from the airframe and list both no reserve on ebay. Probably bring the most that way in the shortest time.

3. Jan 30, 2014 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

Nice Ercoupe. If its a LSA, and mid-time engine or less, it should sell quick. Looks like it has Cleveland wheels and brakes, large baggage compartment, dual fork nose wheel.
    Dan

4. Jan 30, 2014 #4

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

Unfortunately the 415D is not light sport legal. It was certified with a gross weight of 1400 lbs

5. Jan 30, 2014 #5

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

The TT2 Yahoo group seems to stay pretty active. If you haven't scouted there it might be worth a visit: https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/teenie2/conversations/messages

And/or as a third option ping Ron Dixon who sort of mentors both the TT2 and MiniCoupe clans...

6. Jan 30, 2014 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Doesn't the value depend on who wins the game Sunday?

Then shouldn't it be painted in Cleveland Browns colors?

OK, sorry for the puns. I hope you find buyers for both. I think Brian pretty much nailed the price question for the Teenie 2.

7. Jan 30, 2014 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, but a lot of Ercoupe owner in the past did the mods to make it the D model for the extra weight and just started calling it a D with no paperwork, so in fact it is still legally a lower gross weight. You would be surprised on how many were done that way. Have to look at the logs and paperwork to know for sure. I have even seen the data plate re-stamped but with no paper work. I have owned a 415-D and a 415-CD. Dan

bmcj likes this.
  8. Jan 30, 2014 #8

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

If they pass this new law allowing drivers license for anything under 6000 lbs and 6 seats all this talk about D or C will be for not. I myself will go after my PP Certificate if this happens as I am sure a lot of folks will.

If this happens the price of these planes is going to jump. Buy now and hope for the best. If it does not pan out sell for what you paid.

Tony

9. Jan 30, 2014 #9

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

Since the OP specified it as a 415D I simply assumed it is a proper 'D' and is stamped and registered as such. If it is, in fact, a 'C' that has been modified then it may be light sport legal or it may be illegal period. It depends on what mods were done and how the paperwork was handled. If that is the case it should be looked at carefully by the IA who will be responsible for doing the annual inspections to make sure he is OK with the mods and paperwork before you buy it. Like I said, it may be just fine, or it could be a real headache. I've seen both and the regs are sometimes vague enough that different IAs will have different opinions.

Dave

Pops likes this.
  10. Jan 31, 2014 #10

Vipor_GG

Vipor_GG

Vipor_GG

11. Jan 31, 2014 #11

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

That's fine if it has no modifications. But if it has any modifications to make it like a 'D' then you'll need to check with an IA before buying it. And if the FAA paperwork says "C" but the dataplate is stamped "D", you may be in for a headache depending on what has, or has not, been done.

Pops likes this.
  12. Jan 31, 2014 #12

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I've been through this process several times. A builder passes, leaves an airplane project behind and the estate has no idea of it's value.

I always recommend selling at auction to highest bidder. That converts the property into cash with the least amount of hassle. I would plan on this particular airplane to sell for ~$1-3k if the auction is properly managed.

13. Jan 31, 2014 #13

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Thank you so much for the input!!! :)
    Regarding the `coupe: I know of one that was mod'd all the way up to a "D" - 337 and all. But it was never flown that way! The owner asked the local FSDO and they said "Just mod it back and fly it as a "C"... " Looks like that is what the FAA calls his `coupe anyway... :)
    Another opinion is that a plane is what every type certificate if falls under. Using this idea, and the fact that the "D" to "C" mod's are fully explained in the literature from ERCO, the plan can be mod'd back.
    So if your FSDO is in "Don't tell, don't ask" mode, and you've an understanding IA... :)
    Regarding the Teenie: That auction idea sounds like a good one. I will broach it to my "Boots on the ground" guy (being 1200 miles away).
    Percy

14. Jan 31, 2014 #14

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Once a rating has been change...You CAN NOT change it back. Not sure whom told you different but they are WRONG....It is written in the regs, once you change a type certificate you can not change it back, so be sure you want the change.

You can not change back from a D to a C. Once its been change its done.....period end of discussion.

Tony

15. Jan 31, 2014 #15

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

That is correct. If the plane was never returned to service and "operated" in the new configuration, it can be returned to original, keeping the LSA option available.
    I had to do something similar after the FAA backpedaled on a field approval to a fuel filler mod on a Grumman AgCat.

On the other hand, keeping the mods in place as a "D" model will be desirable to some people.

16. Jan 31, 2014 #16

TFF

TFF

TFF

You can not change back even an Experimental. If the 337s are filed with the FAA, tough luck. Most FSDO people are wrong with nuances of GA, as they are taught airline management. What would happen is when the owner wanted to sell or if it was in a crash the buyer or FAA would probably figure it out. To the FAA an airplane is a piece of paper with structure attached.

17. Jan 31, 2014 #17

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

But if it can be called a "C" now and have the option to covert to "D" later, isn't that the best of both worlds?

18. Feb 1, 2014 #18

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

"Once a rating has been change...You CAN NOT change it back. Not sure whom told you different but they are WRONG."
    Sorry, Tony. The FAA said it.
    I mistyped - the change from "C" to "D" is in Aircraft Specification No. A-718; "S/N 113 thru 4423...are eligible as model 415-D under terms of Aircraft Specification A-787, provided the following requirements are met:"
    Now, I grant that the Light Sport lashup, which was litterally passed in the dead of night, does indeed state that an individual airframe that has been operated under a higher gross weight cannot be redone. But "been operated" is the key phrase here.
    Oh, and by the way. Aforesaid `coupe did get in a wreck (pilot walked away - he has done that twice!). If there was a bug in his paperwork, why is he still walking the streets?
    Percy

19. Feb 1, 2014 #19

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Once a type certificate has been change no going back.... Once you change it, its changed. No going back. You can go forward but not back.

Tony