• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Techniques for Hardshell and Micro in Vacuum Bagging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
On another forum, there has been a discussion of using microslurry to seal the foam before applying the glass cloth in vacuum bag layups.

Now on this thread, one individual who speaks with considerable authority about how Scaled Composites does things, indicated that you can use micro on the foam without quality issues if you do it right.

He also indicated that you can “hardshell” by applying micro over the foam and let it cure, sand it, and then apply cloth and epoxy over that, and get plenty of strength, if you do it right. Plenty of strength was indicated by peeling glass and getting the failure in the foam.

In both cases, he did not describe how to do either of these things "right". I was wondering if anyone on this forum knew what the techniques are for “doing it right” in both hardshelling and in applying microslurry to the foam during the layup. One of the things that occurred to me was that hardshelling the part was how you applied micro to foam for vacuum bagging…

I had problems in my experimental vacuum bagged layups with micro working up into the glass cloth, so I went to using straight epoxy only in vacuum bagged layups, figuring that it was the price of admission, and the parts were still very light. So, any experience?

Billski

Back