• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tapered rod landing gear - again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

Does anyone have an opinion on this:

Most tapered rod legs are bent at the axle end to form the axle for the wheel. Is there any theoretical objection to putting a bend in the upper end to enable the leg to be "plugged into" a horizontal carry-through tube ? Flat gear legs are of course routinely bent in this manner (and then heat treated, of course).

Harmon, who make round tapered legs told me it is inadvisable to put two bends into the leg since it makes it very hard to get the toe-in correct (since it has to be spot-on and there is not means of adjustment.) I intend to fit a separate axle socket assembly to avoid this problem, so the only bend would be in the upper area where it exits the fuselage. Any reason this is inadvisable? I can't really think of one offhand.

Back