Sully - the movie

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Sep 12, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 14, 2016 #41

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

My hat's off to you too, and anyone else who can climb like that. I about lose my lunch both times I've seen that video. It seems odd that I have no fear of heights in airplanes, even when I was given a ride in a 2-place open Quicksilver, but I live in fear cleaning my 2nd story gutters!

Lynn

2. Sep 14, 2016 #42

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I've done height work too, up to 900', not free climbing but of course to move around entails freeclimbing necessarily.

Quoting heights makes no difference cause as we used to say, you're dead after the first 50'. I was way more worried and always listening for "UNDER!!" which means someone had dropped something and it was on it's way down.

Usually a wrench, which could kill you, but mighty scary when a scaffolding wooden plank came down.

Watched Sully last night, it was ok, just ok.

3. Sep 14, 2016 #43

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the plane afterwards, where is it now etc?

4. Sep 14, 2016 #44

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

It's in Charlotte on display at a museum of sorts. If you go to CLT, take a taxi and tell the driver you want to go to the museum where the Airbus from flt#1549 is on display. It's maybe 7 min from the front of the CLT terminal.

cheapracer likes this.
  5. Sep 14, 2016 #45

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Humm....if we do the arithmetic: Sully departed runway 4 and after turning left, ended up in the Hudson River on a ~180 heading. That's a turn of more than 180* Apparently it's not impossible.

6. Sep 14, 2016 #46

Pops

Pops

Pops

The reason I always wanted to work on the top so I didn't have to worry about someone dropping something. One time someone dropped a 1" steel nut from a couple hundred feet above me. Hit a glancing blow on my right back at my should blade. Felt like I got hit by a sledge hammer. Knocked me down like I was shot. Yep, makes no difference 50' or more. No one ever gets hurt much, make a mistake and you get killed not hurt. I still have nightmares. At the time you don't think all the people you see getting killed is effecting you, but it does.

7. Sep 14, 2016 #47

BJC

BJC

BJC

The shouted warning here is "Headache!"

BJC

Pops likes this.
  8. Sep 14, 2016 #48

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Hats off to Pops and I'm with you on that one Lynn... I was a signalman in the Navy and after we did some shore bombardment went to Subic Bay for some R&R... I drank a little too much the night before we left, caused a little ruckus at a bar in town and had to be carried back to the ship... we left port early the next morning and I was sick.. the Chief had zero sympathy and sent me up the mast to string lines at the end of the yardarms... the seas were not kind... I behaved better after that! :)

9. Sep 14, 2016 #49

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

Hats off, also Pops. I thought I was hot stuff, when I first had to climb a drilling rig without a harness and counter weight. The first 30 ft went easy, and the next 60 or 80 was a little more intense. I think my fingerprints are still embedded in some of those rungs. It got easy over time, but I've never had to climb over 120 ft in my life. Inside of a plane or ultralight, looking at the ground between my legs never bothered me. I just felt secure.
    Getting back to actors and movies, when the movie "Flight" came out, (not long after the Hudson River ditching) I saw it on opening weekend. Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors and did a good job portraying his character, which was a Sully type hero character until it became a drug addicted alcoholic character that was a great pilot.
    The next week, I walked into the room while wife was watching "Ellen" and had Denzel on and talking about the movie. She was going on and on about how well he flew the crippled plane. He kept interrupting, saying that he can "act" like a really good pilot if that was the role he was playing. But he made sure his fans knew he did not know anything about being a pilot.

10. Sep 14, 2016 #50

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yep, when you hear "Headache" you try to craw under your hardhat.

11. Sep 15, 2016 #51

VFR-on-top

VFR-on-top

VFR-on-top

Just some data to share (I had a hand in the film biz once upon a time): Most films lose money. For every "blockbuster," 2 break even and 7 lose money (ballpark). And this is for Hollywood fare. Indie films in general rarely earn back production costs. Documentaries almost always have to be underwritten.

This is why films have to be hyped-up. If it doesn't draw $$$ on the first weekend, it is finished.

I, too, will watch Scully via my library. :)

12. Sep 15, 2016 #52

BJC

BJC

BJC

Seems appropriate.

BJC

13. Sep 15, 2016 #53

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

As they should?

I spend nearly $5 per yr watching movies so if the film industry collapsed tomorrow I probably wouldn't notice.

rbrochey likes this.
  14. Sep 15, 2016 #54

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I prefer to make my own entertainment...usually motorbikes or planes. I haven't been to a movie in probably 20 years...never was much of a spectator type. NGC, AHC type stuff sometimes is good tho

rbrochey and Turd Ferguson like this.
  15. Sep 15, 2016 #55

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I love a great film. We don't have cable or satellite so basically we don't have tv, with 3 kids there's enough to do.

But hell yeah, a great movie is awesome. Spending time periodically with the kids at a theatre is memorable. Kids enjoy it so I won't be a grouch on them. The last animated film we saw was great. Watching your three kids laugh is great. Granted, it's only about 3 movies a year at the theatre so it's not like my kids watch movies 7 days a week. I work 60-80 hours a week so a good movie is kinda nice. There's 365 days in a year to do things, sitting in an air conditioned theatre with a massive screen and great audio and a box of popcorn is pretty sweet once in a while.

And I have numerous motorcycles. I do both. Lol

16. Sep 15, 2016 #56

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

I also heard ..... that he was suffering from severe PTSD because of this incident, PLUS the fact that all of a sudden a humble non-publicity guy was an instant national hero. If the NTSB or insurance company was trying to pin blame on him too, that's a pretty big burden .......[/QUOTE]

Film-makers were gentle with the NTSB .... far gentler than the inquiry was on the pilots.
    Prolonged inquiries or court proceedings are exhausting for survivors because every time they are forced to re-tell the accident, it drags up painful memories and Prolongs their Traumatic Stress.

I know this from personal experience because law suits have dragged out more than 8 years since I was injured in a King Air crash. Re-counting my side of the accident to confrontational lawyers - 8 or 10 times - is exhausting because it drags up painful memories.

17. Sep 15, 2016 #57

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Sully worked with Hanks for the roll. As did the co-pilot. We just want to be sure we're not inventing problems that don't exist from pilots who are speculating.

18. Sep 15, 2016 #58

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

But it can't beat sitting outside on a Wisconsin evening watching a movie at the fly-in theater. Granted, the movies are not first run blockbusters but my kids think it's great! They could show Lost in Space or Star Trek reruns for all I care.

19. Sep 15, 2016 #59

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

You can do that too. I do a lot of cool things in the course of a year but I've never been to a fly-in-theatre. Didn't know they existed.

There's no room for popcorn in a Cassutt. Haha

20. Sep 15, 2016 #60

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Just got back from seeing it.

One thing that impressed me was how fast rescue crew got there.

Another thing was when Sully asked how many times the simulator crews practiced the maneuver. And then they added a 35 second delay.

IIRC, the First Officer works at the EAA museum at Oshkosh. He was on one episode of "American Pickers" .