• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stroker engines in airplanes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REVAN

A while back, I recall reading some comments here on HBA stating that it is a bad idea to increase engine power through increasing the stroke of an engine if it is going to be used in an airplane. I think this comment may have mainly been directed at auto conversion engines. No explanation was given as to why stroking the engine would be a bad idea.

If anyone has insight in to why this comment may or may not be true and under what assumptions the rule applies, I'd like to understand the situation better.

Is it inherently better to increase displacement and power through boring the engine to a larger piston diameter while maintaining the same stroke? If so, why?

Back