• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

steen skybolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgnunn

hi all. I had already posted a couple of posts, then noticed a 'new member intro' forum...so..

I am John Nunn from Jarrell, texas (British ex-patriot). A PPL student, and i am going to build a steen skybolt. For those not familiar with the skybolt, it is an aerobatic biplane. While being very similar to the Pitts plane in looks and capabilities, it is much larger, making it also adept for cross country.

Why is a low time PPL student wanting to build such a plane you may ask...

My logic is that this thing is going to take me something like 4 years to build (fingers crossed it doesnt end up in the For Sale columns under 70% completed projects), and of course bye then, I'd have long passed the checkride, and should have 200 hours plus under my belt. I only intend to ever build one plane, so why not build something from the ground up (not kit based) that i can say "I built it". Why aerobatic? Well, I have a fair amount of skydives, so i love the adrenalin rush, this plane has the versatility for the occasional basic aerobatic manoevre to satisfy my urges if required.

I am now an IT Manager, but for 20 years i was a cabinet maker, therefore, the wings 'should' be no problem for me, being wood construction. However, the fuselage is made of steel tube - and i have never welded before, so that's gonna be a challenge.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,003
Back