Starlite SL1

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Holtzy3

Hey guys, I just discovered the Starlite SL1, looks like a pretty neat little airplane. Does anyone have any information on them by any chance? I know there was an accident due to builder error back in the 80s but I'm curious as to whats become of the rest. Also, for anyone who knows my past with the 150 and getting all my ratings, I'm now flying a PC-12!

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I'm now flying a PC-12!

Mazeltov !

Now I hope you get rated and employed flying the PC-6 :)

The Starlite was designed by a guy named Mark Brown IIRC, and was originally designed for a Rotax 447. It is apparently a delightful and sporty little airplane. All composite, looks adorable, compact, and pretty decent speed on the power. In the current homebuilt environment, there are other engine choices that might make better sense and give you better fuel economy. The overall shape of the Starlite forward fuselage and cowling would also make it an ideal candidate for an electric conversion if that was of interest. The Pegasus DP-1, or HKS 700E, would make a neat hotrod with 4 stroke reliability.

The Verner Scarlett 3VW with a "bump cowl" or "speed ring" would make an awesome little sportplane, turning every head at every airport on every landing!

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Good on you for breaking through and making it happen. You were all over the place not too long ago and I was convinced you were all talk and no action. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I suspect that your flying experience has helped sharpen your personal "mission requirements", yes?

As an aside, I recently aquired a L-39 for work and got to fly it home on monday... THAT was a mistake. Im now trying to figure out some way to make a $500 per hour fuel bill fit into my personal finances.

Holtzy3

I feel I could enjoy a wide variety of aircraft still, aerobatics, XC machine, Back country flying, I could make the best out of whatever I find. That being said, you bet your a** I'd buy a laser or dr-107 in a heart beat if I had the money.
The L-39 is a great aircraft for the price, just convince yourself the turnine time is worth the price ;)

With regards to the starlite, I don't know how I feel about flying behind a rotax 2 stroke... I've come to really enjoy the PT6s reliability.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Yes, its one thing to whip out the corporate credit card for a tank of Jet A; quite another to have to actually pay it...

And if your standard for reliability is the PT-6, then pretty much everything in GA is going to come up short.

You are going to have to lower your standards a bit.

Holtzy3

Yes, its one thing to whip out the corporate credit card for a tank of Jet A; quite another to have to actually pay it...

And if your standard for reliability is the PT-6, then pretty much everything in GA is going to come up short.

You are going to have to lower your standards a bit.
The O-200 on the 150 was fine, I'm not expecting PT6 reliability but the rotax 2 strokes don't have the best record

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Holtzy we can set you right up with an engine that has all of the built-in reliability of the O-200, higher quality parts, and lower parts count. Not quite a PT-6, but a couple of hours' worth of PT-6 fuel cost would probably buy you fifty or a hundred hours' worth of O-100 time.

proppastie

Nope, couldnt talk the company into a type rating since we already have one of our test pilots with said rating. I flew it from the back seat as the FTE/self loading baggage.

Plug....sold an 8' Control Rod Rigger to a Canadian company that has a fleet of L39 for foreign fighter pilot training. Apparently the L39 has lots of control rods.

More info in this thread: