Quantcast

Solidworks question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

narfi

Log Member
Is there a way in drawings mode to automatically annotate offsets from a line at set intervals?

For example in this picture I manually placed 2 vertical lines and 13 lines from right to left. Is there a way to measure the distance from the line to the part at each interval automatically and annotate it or place it in a table? Or is the only way for me to go in and manually do each one?

Capture.PNG

thanks for any help or advice!

Soliex

HBA Supporter
Narfi,
I see some grey lines in a grid pattern and some curved darker lines. Are you trying to annotate the points at the intersections of the dark lines to the lines in the grid?

narfi

Log Member
Narfi,
I see some grey lines in a grid pattern and some curved darker lines. Are you trying to annotate the points at the intersections of the dark lines to the lines in the grid?
Yes exactly.
Imagine the purpose being the square grid represents a piece of aluminum or plywood stock and the curved lines are the part you want to cut out. I want a human readable set of offsets to draw out the part by hand. I have done it machine readable before, but I want this to be human readable. If that makes sense.
The vertical lines are(arbatrairly for this part) 12 inches apart and if I can measure out and mark each intersection I can easily use a flexible batan to draw the curves of the part within my accepted tolerances.

narfi

Log Member
If you PM Addicted2Climbing, you will likely get an accurate answer. Something like 20+ years of experience with SW and/or its predecessors.
If I can't figure it out publicly then I will, thank you.
However I prefere to air my laundry publicly so others can learn from my stupidity and or mistakes in learning.

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
It sound like what you want might be "Horizontal Ordinate Dimension" found under the "Smart Dimension" dropdown as Jay mentioned. If you are trying for a certain set interval, you can make a sketch and repeat the lines using the "Linear Sketch Pattern" function.
Justin

narfi

Log Member
So I got an ugly version of what I wanted accomplished, but it was pretty manual even using Smart Dimension -> Autodimension or Ordinate Dimension (autodimension is one step quicker than Ordinate with the same results)

I drew a horzontal line and moved it to touch the lowest point of my part, then a vertical line and touched it up against the far right edge.
I used linear sketch pattern to repeat the vertical line every 12 inches for a total of 13 lines (part is just under 12ft)
(here is the manual part I dont like) I zoomed in and added single point dots at each intersection of the part with my vertical lines.

Once that is done I can either
use Ordinate Dimension and click each point one at a time
or
Select all the points and use Autodimension

Either one results in a jumble of distances all on top of each other with their lines indistinguishable from each other.
Then I manually moved the annotation and reference lines for each dimension out so that they would be human readable(ish)
I manually drew the horizontal distance from the tip that does not end on a 12" marker

This is good enough I can now draw it out on a sheet and form the curves and cut it out, however it is not elegant to look at, and it was not as quick and 'automated' as it seems something so simple should be.

Also the annotation properties will not let me change the text size or scale.......... It would be a lot easier if the scale matched the part on the page better even when doing it manually.

Capture.PNG

annotation.PNG

narfi

Log Member
Perhaps even easier would be a table generated from the selected points (autoselected intersections would be better) showing coordinates from a user defined 0,0 point.

Richard Schubert

I would do it on a "D" sized sheet, and scale the drawing to fit. The dimension font should autoscale.

change font.jpg

To change the font, uncheck the "use document font" box and you can select the size you want.

To adjust your current drawing, right click on "sheet 1" and select "properties", the properties box should pop up.
sheet scale.jpg

Last edited:

narfi

Log Member
Intersting my sheet options are A0(ISO)-A4(ISO)

A1 is a huge sheet though and worked much better and I was able to change the annotation sizing around which also made things so much easier for my human brain to wrap itself around.

After going through the self imposed test and practice the manual way isn't seeming as difficult anymore, here are the results from just manually annotating the dimensions for each point manually placed,
manual.PNG

Here is what it looks like from the autodimension of those points (still needs a lot of manual labor to make it human readable, sorting the order and dragging the lines so that they are distinguishable from each other)
auto.PNG

Here is what it looks like using Ordinate and clicking each point, (I quit after the bottom half as I could see I would need to do just as much labor to clean it up as I would with the autodimension)
ordinate.PNG

It is a simple project, only I will need to read it, so it doesn't have to be pretty, I do like to learn from exercises like this though.... perhaps just practice doing tedious things makes them less tedious?

addicted2climbing

Log Member
bit confused what your trying to do , but if its just gettign clean dimensions on the drawing than Ordiante is the way t go. You need first ordinate dim to be zero and then all are based on that zero reference. For example you can have Zero in the middle and it will dimension on either side of zero.

narfi

Log Member
Yes but it's not clean, you can see my last picture there was ordinate and it would take more time to move around all the annotations stacked on each other and their overlapping lines than it would be to just manually annotate each dimension myself

Richard Schubert

As far as the sheet options, there are several including ISO and ANSI. The reason I suggested the "D" size is you can get that printed at kinkos and take it to the shop. There is a box on the upper right side of the toolbar called system options that allows you to choose a lot of these custom settings
It looks like you got what you need with the drawing you attached, I'm afraid that there is not a lot you can do automatically with odd things like your sketch.

After going through the self imposed test and practice the manual way isn't seeming as difficult anymore,
Doing things "automatically" can burn you in Solidworks, it is not too smart. If it makes you feel any better, I spend a large portion of my day clicking dimensions like those in manually. In fact, the drawings are often the most time consuming part of most designs I do.

Last edited:

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Yes but it's not clean, you can see my last picture there was ordinate and it would take more time to move around all the annotations stacked on each other and their overlapping lines than it would be to just manually annotate each dimension myself
You ca split the ordinate dimensions on all sides of the model to cut down on them stacking so much. You just need to add a new zero point on each side and make sure you use same reference as other side so the numbers are accurate.

Geraldc

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is using the point function to put a point everywhere you want to measure from and dimension to the points.