• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Single-door cabin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Random thought...I have long thought of coming up with an affordable, easy-to-build cabin monoplane in the spirit of the Evans Volksplane VP-2 but with an enclosed cockpit, a little more room, and a little more wing area. One approach I have considered is a cabin monoplane with a fuselage like an irregular hexagon, not unlike the Siebel Si 202 Hummel of the 1930s. Maximizing the K.I.S.S. philosophy, I was thinking of using just one door like a Piper Cherokee with just one flat sheet of acrylic or polycarbonate bent to fit the frame. Unlike the Cherokee, I thought of putting the single door on the pilot's side and making the passenger side window jettisonable for egress in an emergency. Both could have those little snap-in plastic vents. With the flat-wrap windscreen that would make just three transparent sections. The door itself could hinger forward or upward and include the center roof panel or not. What do folks think of the single-door cabin and/or putting that single door on the pilot's side? Cheers, Matthew

1709563224539.png1709563260043.pngcherokee 235 open door.jpg

Back