simple software for documenting project via youtube

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

harrisonaero

If someone wanted to do simple daily/weekly video updates to YouTube without a lot of post-editing and fuss is there a simple app or procedure that lets you? IOW a way to document a project in a nice/professional way but not spend a lot of time editing- say 15 minutes max to do the following: a simple intro with music, combine about 5 minutes of shots with voiceover, include a section where a long process is sped up (with music) like you see on many of the DIY videos.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Video editing takes time and I don't see how you are going to do all that in 15 minutes. Probably the fastest solution would be to take still photos and then export them as a video slideshow using the same title screen and music at the beginning and end for every episode. You could then record a voiceover each time, "Hi, everybody, Bob here with update number 19 on my Superplane build. As you can see, I've made progress on the tail feathers and started to work on the trim tabs. Getting the alignment right on the hinges was a challenge, I scrapped the first one, but sorted it out in the end. Next up, the tailwheel spring. See you next week!"

johnnyd

Considering their latest round of "censorship", I wouldn't trust YouTube with anything of importance.
If one of their new "moderators" decides that you did or said something controversial, they'll pull all your vids without so much as a warning.

Hephaestus

Use a CMS. Think WordPress.

Post it and tag it appropriately by day, and be done with it
Doesn't have to be public, can just be hosted on your own hard drive.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Aside from the video hosting question, I have run the cluttonfred.info site on Tumblr (www.tumblr.com) for many years and been very happy with it. Simple, stylish, and free as long as you use one of the many free themes (https://www.tumblr.com/themes/tagged/free) and a your_site_name.tumblr.com address. There are ways to set up a private, password-protected blog if you choose and ways to backup the blog offline. It’s a great tool if you like the KISS approach.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Basic video editing can definitely be done in 15 minutes using free software that comes with Mac or Windows. My 13 year old does it all the time. imovie on Mac is so easy it's incredible. Movie Maker on PC is as well.

The time is in the upload. Clipping, joining multiple videos, adding words and even sound effects is just a couple mouse clicks. They've made that entire process simple. So 15-20 minutes.

Uploading to the computer then uploading to YouTube figure an hour. Fortunately you can do other things while it's loading.

Group Builder