Simple six-pack replacement. Is there such a thing?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kurt Ayres

I'm wondering if there is a device out there that does nothing but replace the six-pack. I have zero experience in these matters, so please forgive my ignorance. This is for day VFR only in a low performance airplane; I don't need navigation capability and all the other bells and whistles, as I'm not going far or fast. When I've tried to research this on my own, I've been inundated with acronym after acronym, and my eyes just sort of glaze over. :) Seriously, if there such a device, or if you can explain in the simplest terms what I should look for, your help would be most appreciated.

gtae07

Thing is, if you’re replacing your six-pack (I asssume by that you still want some kind of attitude info) then pretty much almost anything out there is going to give you at least some kind of nav/map capability “free”.

I think your simplest bet is going to be something like an AV-30 or GRT Mini, but we really need more info to help you out. I’m willing to help you dig through options but I’d need to know what exactly you’re really trying to do—what you have now, what you’re trying to gain, what you’re replacing, etc. A picture of your current panel would be helpful.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Dynon D-60 is a direct replacement for the 6pack. The D-100 adds features and is a true efis

pfarber

HBA Supporter
If you're low and slow VFR why do you want all those gauges?

A simple cell phone app can give you GPS speed and altitude (some phones actually have a pressure gauge, not many). Google maps in offline mode give you basic nav. All you would need is oil temp/press/voltmeter/compass.

A decent used tablet is $50 velcro'd to panel. More money for fuel.

Pops

Log Member
CockpitAid - Apps on Google Play ---- Free.
Avare for the moving map GPS-- free

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Going with an Android tablet for the display would be low cost and allow use of a navigation app when desired. Is there interface hardware and software that would allow the tablet to display the primary flight instrument info?
What is your budget?

Daleandee

Free iPhone/iPad app:

From my limited experience it seems to work well. Speed is, of course, ground speed.

Dale

Last edited:

Will Aldridge

Log Member
Garmin G5.

One of the pricier options and no navigation but it fits in a standard size instrument hole and replaces all of the 6 pack instruments. The link above is for the battery back up officially FAA approved version. The experimental version without battery backup is about $1k cheaper.

ScaleBirdsScott

I'd go with a WingBug + Tablet combo personally, if the goal was maximal simplicity. No systems to run, just clamp the wingbug to the wing somehow and sync to a tablet mounted in the cockpit or on the pilot somehow (Also for ultralight aircraft I presume it would remove all of the associated weight of a pitot system and the associated avionics from the true empty weight, as long as you remember to take the stuff with you.)

If you were already inclined to go with a pitot system the AV-30 is fairly inexpensive for a graphical display, but it's still north of $1500.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I'd go with a WingBug + Tablet combo personally, if the goal was maximal simplicity. No systems to run, just clamp the wingbug to the wing somehow and sync to a tablet mounted in the cockpit or on the pilot somehow (Also for ultralight aircraft I presume it would remove all of the associated weight of a pitot system and the associated avionics from the true empty weight, as long as you remember to take the stuff with you.)

If you were already inclined to go with a pitot system the AV-30 is fairly inexpensive for a graphical display, but it's still north of $1500.
Wingbug looks pretty neat. $1350 ain't free, but it isn't bad for a device that provides a no-fuss pitot static feed. I sure like the included AoA capability--super!. Small gripes: iPad only, pseudo-analog display only (would be nice to make better use of the small available screen of a tablet).
Thanks for the lead to that!

gtae07

OP still hasn’t provided any information about what he actually needs (mission spec, what he’s replacing, aircraft type, why he’s doing this, etc).

Without knowing that it’s hard to make a suggestion.

ScaleBirdsScott

Wingbug looks pretty neat. $1350 ain't free, but it isn't bad for a device that provides a no-fuss pitot static feed. I sure like the included AoA capability--super!. Small gripes: iPad only, pseudo-analog display only (would be nice to make better use of the small available screen of a tablet).
Thanks for the lead to that!
I seem to remember it being cheaper;that might have been like an Oshkosh promo price however. Still, $1350 is on par with going with even economy level steam gauges from AS. So if the quality of data is on par, there's a there there.

I agree about the display, I'd prefer an Android version with multiple display GUI options. I'm sure that can all come in time.

BJC

HBA Supporter
This is for day VFR only in a low performance airplane; I don't need navigation capability and all the other bells and whistles, as I'm not going far or fast.
For the mission stated, I would buy used round gauges from a homebuilder upgrading to an EFIS.

All you need is airspeed, altitude (need not be sensitive), and a cheap compass. A homemade pitot tube can be had for a few dollars.

BJC

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The basic Talos Avionic AEOLUS SENSE is currently on sale from the manufacturer for $699 (20% off) and combined with a $100 Android table it would give you everything you could need in a VFR plane and then some.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
A simple cell phone app can give you GPS speed and altitude (some phones actually have a pressure gauge, not many). Google maps in offline mode give you basic nav. All you would need is oil temp/press/voltmeter/compass.
And airspeed, and altimeter. GPS groundspeed is NOT an alternative to airspeed, and GPS altitude is very inaccurate.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Agreed. I suggested the Talos "black box" (actually, it's red) because it includes pitot-static connections as well as AHRS and GPS.

And airspeed, and altimeter. GPS groundspeed is NOT an alternative to airspeed, and GPS altitude is very inaccurate.

Geraldc

Totally agree.A lot of people are too busy looking at the glass screen to notice the airspeed is dropping off until too late

Agreed. I suggested the Talos "black box" (actually, it's red) because it includes pitot-static connections as well as AHRS and GPS.
If I were building today I would consider this $1400 set or the 2020 WIngman with a tablet David Cooper from Team Minimax is the US agent for the later. In both cases I woudl still have a Steam ASI. The first optoin does not include the probes but does cover the requirment for a magnetic reference.

Regards

Matt

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
FWIW, the Wingman site is pretty hard to navigate. You have to fish around to find a price list and when you do find it down below the visible portion of the home page it's a link to an illegible PDF file. The AvMap solution is interesting but I think the Engibox EMS is set up just for Rotax engines.

FWIW, the Wingman site is pretty hard to navigate. You have to fish around to find a price list and when you do find it down below the visible portion of the home page it's a link to an illegible PDF file. The AvMap solution is interesting but I think the Engibox EMS is set up just for Rotax engines.
Engine box can be set for anything 2 or 4 stroke. Wingman site is not great. David cooper sells the 4/6 cylinder for about 700USD which includes the probes.