• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Should I set a record even if I won't win the prize?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

I've finally found some helicopter text books that have the equations I need, in the detail I need them. The equations I derived were almost right, but I multiplied by velocities from the wrong location relative to the rotors. I put the equations and my design weights into Excel, and calculated power as a function of rotor diameter (accounts for weight increase) and climb velocity (from -2 to 2 ft/s). I calculated the power with two models and got the same results.

From the papers I've read, Yuri needed 60% as much power at 1 ft off the ground as it would have needed out of ground effect. My design will probably see a 10% reduction in power on average as it climbs and sinks.

I'm sure my pilot can get 3m off the ground. He might even last more than 19 seconds doing so. But unless I get a lot of help from the ground at heights that papers said I won't, he is not going to win that prize.

About me:
I did not focus at all in college. Actually I rarely went to class or did homework. I got by by cramming new material the night before and figuring stuff out on the exams. After transferring in I started my first semester with a 3.0, and that dropped to a 1.9 by my senior year before I dropped out of the engineering program with 240 units and maxed out loans. I've been working at close to minimum wage since. I have $2000 saved up, and estimate it will cost $1500 to build this helicopter. I want to name it the $1500 pedalcopter, even though the name is deceptive. I've learned a lot about structures and know why Yuri broke. I need insurance to enter the competition, but not to set an official record. My question is, if I set a record, and I don't win a prize, how would that likely affect my prospects? Would I just get 15 minutes of fame?

Back