• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Shopping to buy (not build) an E/AB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
So I'm giving serious thought to setting aside my Commander 112TC in the next zero to three years, and buying a different plane to tide me over until my own design is flying.

Mission requirements:
  • 2+ seats
  • 140+ kts cruise
  • 600+ nm useful range (+ reserve)
  • 500+ lbs useful load at 600 nm range
  • Useful ceiling of 15+ k ft
  • Capable of comfortable operation on a 2400 ft field at gross weight [rules out most of the LongEZ family]
  • Comfortable for a 260+ lb, 5'10" pilot + pax [rules out Sonexes etc]
  • IFR capable
  • Autopilot
  • Okay for ramp tie-down [rules out fabric covered]
  • Tricycle landing gear
  • Multiple instances of design on market for < $200k [rules out RV-10s and RV-14s]
  • If experimental, enough community experience to make a thorough pre-purchase inspection possible
Mission nice-to-haves:
  • E/AB
  • 3+ seats
  • 150+ kts cruise
  • Turbocharger for more performance margin at my 5 k ft field
  • Aluminum construction
  • Unrestricted operation on 100LL (no decalin etc needed)
  • Single engine
  • Glass cockpit (for primary instruments)
  • Some chance of grabbing one for < $150k
Setting aside everything but price, an RV-14 is probably the best mission fit; but the price just ain't there. I'm mostly thinking of a conventional configuration, but that's very much not a mission requirement.

What designs do folks suggest looking into that meet all of the must-haves, and do okay on nice-to-haves?

[Edit: For the record, my 112TC meets all of the must-haves, except it's right at the hairy edge of "comfortable" on a 2400 ft field. It meets all of the nice-to-haves except E/AB (obviously) and glass cockpit (for mine). The only reason I'm looking to move on is thinking about the future need for an engine overhaul, which is not a real option for the TO-360. I'm also thinking about doing an alternate engine either under Mosaic+STC or by taking it to E/Exh, but I'm really more interested in having something to actively fly than a project.]

Last edited:
Back