• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Shimming ultralight tube “sleeve” doublers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b7gwap

For those who have built or rebuilt tube and fabric ULs, where the hard points are (cable attach points, wing, engine, tail attach etc) there are often smaller diameter tubes inserted as doublers. How have you seen these shimmed as they don’t fit tightly and therefore don’t pass load to the parent tube. Mike Sandlin for example specifies wrapping the sleeves with “vinyl tape”. I’ve seen some others say they use glass fiber and epoxy although I don’t have details and I’m having a hard time envisioning getting it deep down a tube without leaving epoxy all over the ID. I’ve thought you could put o rings or some other edge dams and drill two pilots thru just the parent tube then fill the cavity with epoxy using a syringe via the pilot hole with the other hole as a vent. The vinyl tape solution seems squishy and imprecise. Also all of these solutions make deburring both tubes after drilling a bit dicey: how do you get the sleeve out and back in to align the holes? If you had a really tight shim you might not need to deburr between the tube and sleeve maybe (one up assembly). I’ve sleeved some of my tubes using aluminum duct tape as a shim, works ok but not super precise and not cheap either. What are your thoughts, o ultralight aviators and crafters?

Back