• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Selection of epoxies for a new design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WK95

The following is a list of the various epoxy resins and some associated comments on them.

West Systems 105 resin + 206 hardener - Low viscosity for vacuum bagging. The slow hardener lets the vacuum bagging process have the time to work to distribute and squeeze out excess resin. I think this is the combination used for Rutan designs.
West Systems 105 resin + 205 hardener - 205 is medium viscosity and faster curing than 206. Medium viscosity better for hand layup. Has a common resin with the 206 hardener which is convenient.
Aeropoxy -
MGS - Claims of no affect on structure due to low temperature and high humidity environment. Good to have since I'm going to be curing my parts in the basement which tends to get damp.
Fibreglast System 2000 - Medium viscosity with a variety of hardeners depending on time frame needed. They say its suitable for vacuum bagging. On their website, in the same paragraph, they say its medium viscosity and low viscosity.

My requirements are for a resin and hardener system suitable primarily for vacuum bagging but can also work with hand layup. It should not be too picky about humidity levels since I'd be vacuum bagging these parts in the basement to keep the fumes away from the living area.

So far, I'm leaning to West System 105+206 and Fibreglast 2000. Both offer faster and slower cure hardeners which is good for both hand layup and vacuum bagging. Pricing is comparable though Aircraft Spruce's free shipping for over $500 purchases is nice however, for purchases less than $500, Fibreglast has a better pricing system.

Note: (6/18/2016) Fibreglast has a 20% off sale on their resins this month so if anyone is using their system and needs more, now might be a good time. I'm leaning towards them for now so if I do go with them, I'd by a a quart to try it out and if I like it, I'll get ore before the month is over.

Last edited:
Back