• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sailplane canopy linkage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmflying14

Hey guys,

I am looking for detailed pictures, diagrams, and Ideas for forward opening canopy linkage.

My goals are the ability to egress if it came down to it.* Many modern day sailplanes are built with a fancy linkage that allows the nose of the canopy to lift several inches before rotating the entire canopy up. This allows air to get under and help "rip" the canopy free (or so that is my understanding).

I am building a Mk2h Dragonfly (tail dragger) which means a rear opening canopy causes to many obstructions when getting in and out. The standard forward opening canopy is the old VW bug style arms, utilizing a single pivot. It works great, and would allow for a simple canopy lock at the back of the canopy.

The reason for this post is to help me determine if it is possible to utilize a slightly more complicated and heavier canopy linkage, as well as whether or not it is worth it. My current plan for canopy lock would be similar to a Lancair 360/legacy in the back of the canopy. *IF* possible, It would be awesome to still utilize such. That said, I realize that with a complex canopy linkage in the front (designed to raise the nose first), it may be required to incorporate some type of front hold down/lock as well.

*I realize it is counter productive and often frowned upon to consider bailing. In reality, in my opinion, this is only relevant in the first several flight hours, or any time a major engine modification (or change), or major aerodynamic modification (or change) has been applied. These are the cases I would like to pull the seat cushions out, and consider flying with a chute.

Back