RV3 Tailwheel

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
A little change means a lot. When I built my Falconar F-12 I used a different LG than what was on the plans. It should have been about 2" longer. When I made a 3 point landing the tailwheel would hit first and slam the mains on with a resulting bounce. I never changed it. Just got used to putting the top of the nose on the end of the runway for a 3 point, if any higher, you made a mistake. When checking someone out in the F-12 I always had to talk them thru the first landing.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
At most of the airports I fly out of, the ramp is indeed made of tarmac (tar-macadam), as is the runway. So those RV-3's may be damaging their tailwheel on the tarmac of the runway.

Perhaps they should fly off turf (nobody's used that word yet)... they they could park on the lawn... :gig:

Dana

ddsrph

Same here. When I hear someone calling a ramp a tarmac , I know they are a new to the aviation world. That is why I included a link to an aviation glossary. Maybe we can get it turned around to the correct word.
But some people like to call a ramp a tarmac because it's so "European", and not American.

http://aviationglossary.com/tarmac/
Actually it's apron. That is the official FAA term. I hastily used Tarmac in a generic sense meaning to me anything my tailwheel happened to roll over, including but not limited to concrete, genuine European Tarmac, grass, gravel, dirt. I am not that new to aviation or a particular lover of things European. Thirty three years in Navy, retired Captain, been flying since 1969. Did not fly in military other than Navy flying club.

Thanks
JM