RV3 Tailwheel

Discussion in 'Completions' started by ddsrph, Dec 7, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 9, 2016 #21

Pops

Pops

Pops

A little change means a lot. When I built my Falconar F-12 I used a different LG than what was on the plans. It should have been about 2" longer. When I made a 3 point landing the tailwheel would hit first and slam the mains on with a resulting bounce. I never changed it. Just got used to putting the top of the nose on the end of the runway for a 3 point, if any higher, you made a mistake. When checking someone out in the F-12 I always had to talk them thru the first landing.

2. Dec 9, 2016 #22

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

At most of the airports I fly out of, the ramp is indeed made of tarmac (tar-macadam), as is the runway. So those RV-3's may be damaging their tailwheel on the tarmac of the runway.

Perhaps they should fly off turf (nobody's used that word yet)... they they could park on the lawn... :gig:

Dana

3. Dec 9, 2016 #23

ddsrph

ddsrph

ddsrph

Actually it's apron. That is the official FAA term. I hastily used Tarmac in a generic sense meaning to me anything my tailwheel happened to roll over, including but not limited to concrete, genuine European Tarmac, grass, gravel, dirt. I am not that new to aviation or a particular lover of things European. Thirty three years in Navy, retired Captain, been flying since 1969. Did not fly in military other than Navy flying club.

Thanks
    JM

Pops likes this.