Retractable gear designs

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Stefan Franke, Jan 26, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1

Stefan Franke

Stefan Franke

Stefan Franke

Hello ,
    were can i find sratches from retratable gears. i tried googel but most of pics have been for rc modells.
    one gear version like the europa, rf5 rf 3 and normal gleiders have. or something like the bd 5 trigear
    or pics form long ez....

thank you for helping me

stefan

2. Jan 26, 2013 #2

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

If you google "Open EZ" you will find all the drawings for the Long EZ which is now considered open source. Only the nose gear is retractable but the drawings show how it works. Sorry but I can't help with any of the others.

3. Jan 26, 2013 #3

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Does this help? It's a good demonstration of the basic layout of the mains on a WWII era style aircraft. I am using this as the basis for the main landing gear design on the Praetorian.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 27, 2013 #4

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I've attached one example that might help, some sketches from an EAA member in an old issue of Sport Aviation.

I'd also suggest spending some time looking at old issues of FLIGHT magazine online at http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html. There are many lovely cutaway drawings and other images that will be very informative, especially in the 1930s to 1940s period, though it will help to restrict your searches to one year at a time to limit the number of hits. For example, here is a nice image of the screw-jack operated retraction on the General Aircraft Monospar S.T.18.: http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1936/1936 - 1157.html.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. Jan 27, 2013 #5

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Thanks Matthew. The gear door retraction mechanism on that SA article is useful in my case! :)