Quantcast

Regulations?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

privateed12341234

If a older model Bonanza in need of a new engine was fitted with a larger horse engine from a different manufacturer, could this aircraft be re-registered as an experimental? does an experimental aircraft have weight restrictions? or passenger restrictions ?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absent a STC for the install, yes, it would have to be re-registered some form of experimental, probably R&D or exhibition. It's not something that you can just slap in an engine and go fly with the relative freedom of experimental-amateur built. The precise restrictions would depend on the operating limitations issued with the new experimental airworthiness certificate.

TFF

It would have to go into experimental exhibition but that requires like DERs to sign off on the idea and yearly renewals to the FAA. It’s what airshow planes fly under.
R&D is going to have restrictions on where you can fly because it’s really a test aircraft. Either way will probably cost more than fixing the original. There are upgraded STC Bonanzas so what type of engine are you trying to swap?

privateed12341234

Hello Dana and TFF
Thank you both for your information. Dana; Due to the current costs of older Baron's or similar, I started looking for alternative soultions for 5 adults with luggage, corss country and stumbled into this idea. Best regards

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Cessna 206 ?
Piper Cherokee 6?

imacfii

Absent a STC for the install, yes, it would have to be re-registered some form of experimental, probably R&D or exhibition. It's not something that you can just slap in an engine and go fly with the relative freedom of experimental-amateur built. The precise restrictions would depend on the operating limitations issued with the new experimental airworthiness certificate.
We did a Bonanza S35 conversion some years ago in San Jose. I recall the engine was a Cont 0470, we replaced it with a Cont 520B2B turbo engine. Got it all hooked up, called the FSDO, for an inspection. We had a test plan all sorted out, monitor EGT's CHT's, TIT's, fuel flow etc for a period. The owner was a dentist who used to fly from San Jose to Santa Barbara for work 3 times a week. FAA came out, looked at the installation, reviewed the test program, said fly it for 4 weeks, monitor figures, report back. With one stroke of his pen he turned it into an Exp R&D Cert. 4 weeks later we reported back to FAA with the results of the test period. With another stroke of his pen, he turned back into a Certified airplane, the only one in the world with a 520B2B engine. It can be done, FAA was impressed with the installation and our attitude. Mind you, that was a few years ago

Reactions: BJC

Victor Bravo

There's a Duke project for sale at my home airport. Don't get much faster or more XC capable than that. May be less money than the Baron to purchase because it needs a little love, but it's a whole lot of airplane if you have a mission that justifies it.

TFF

In these price levels, get an Aerostar. Lycoming non geared engines. A Duke is such a cool plane, engines are oddballs that make it expensive if you get a bad one. More than a regular 6 Lycoming. There is a twin turbine one that comes to visit; talk about hot rod.

The FAA will not sign stuff like that anymore. I asked what a non DER rout for something and I got the answer from my FSDO three years. This was much simpler. I had one mod signed by a DER. It took four years to find one who would sign. Too small a project for most. You think it’s hard to get an A&P to sign off a homebuilt.

Turd Ferguson

If a older model Bonanza in need of a new engine was fitted with a larger horse engine from a different manufacturer, could this aircraft be re-registered as an experimental? does an experimental aircraft have weight restrictions? or passenger restrictions ?
Unfortunately, the FAA is not going to give you an experimental certificate of unlimited duration just to get around the regs.

Dan Thomas

May be less money than the Baron to purchase because it needs a little love...
"Love" is spelled with multiple $. I've learned that over and over again. Everything I build or restore costs me at least double what I had figured would be the max, and took four times as long. Other people find the same thing. I've seen $30K Cessnas turn into $100K Cessnas just to get them cleaned up and airworthy again.

I just finished the restoration of an old Springbok aluminum 16' boat with a 70 hp Johnson, a retirement project, and have spent already at least 2.5 times more than I figured and then I found that the engine had scored cylinders and the compression was down. Two-stokes hate that and won't idle. So now the cost will go to 3.5 or more times what I figured, with a used outboard. And it's already taken double the time. So much fun!