Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywheel1935

Off the Raptor Website>
'The Raptor uses push-rods for the rudder (bottom) and aileron (top). Using only push-rods will help to reduce any chance of flutter in the control surfaces. Obviously we will be doing a lot of flutter analysis and testing but why start with cables when you can use push-rods. It's better to go with the best of breed built into the design from the start.'
So where in the scheme of things did PM actually not read his own cr*p , I mean specs !!!!
Surely its time he was honest with his 'customers' and revised the site to reflect actual/true numbers that are being presented.

pictsidhe

The control problem was mostly not having cables. It was the short throw and having soft points instead of hard points. Even if Peter had used pushrods, he would still have had flutter are low speed, probably still taxi, with the way that he designs stuff.

rbarnes

They tried using pushrods at first, but it didnt/couldn't/wouldn't work. I dont remember exactly why... it's in one of those videos.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yeah, it was re-designed, re-constructed, re-aligned, dismantled for safety wire and on and on. But only totally failed to return to the hangar under power once that I know of. That's the problem, some people still think a PSRU can be made to work reliably on a five seat personal diesel powered airplane with a bit of design help now and then. I don't. Nuff said.
I looked back at pages 20-40 and have decided that this Raptor thread is just going round and round repeating and is a waste of time. I tried to get insight and understand how this Raptor saga could happen but will move on now.
In order to be more productive in the shop I will limit my posting on this Raptor thread. And I have decided to suspend my use of the post/reply feature on all threads, if I can. It seems to invite excessive personal back and forth replies. In the future I may not respond to the personal quote alerts after posting my opinion on a topic and I will avoid using the post alert feature.

berridos

Yeah, this is like watching episodes of the A-Team. Always the same, but still fun. We need urgently some incident

Last edited:

TFF

The problem with this thread is it has been hashed out multiple times. An extra round happens when a new HBA member discovers the thread and there is a recap. It’s not their fault they can see what a mess this thing is and react to it. Threads like this really need an index.

Also for the addicted, this thing is slowing down. There is no multiple videos a week with whatever. It’s literally at a point where we are looking for closure or even more video output with production line setup and customers.

rv6ejguy

The problem with this thread is it has been hashed out multiple times. An extra round happens when a new HBA member discovers the thread and there is a recap. It’s not their fault they can see what a mess this thing is and react to it. Threads like this really need an index.

Also for the addicted, this thing is slowing down. There is no multiple videos a week with whatever. It’s literally at a point where we are looking for closure or even more video output with production line setup and customers.
Yup, new folks come in here without knowing much about the topic and berate the folks who've seen this thing take shape for years now. Advice- read the whole thread before commenting and watch the videos from way back too.

This thing is never going to see production any time soon as it is now. Don't hold your breath for those vids.

dave wolfe

Yup. The savvy customers won't take delivery until the airplane is at least in the ballpark with the performance targets and the power system is solid. The not so savvy will get to be the ones figuring out how to get the drive system to work. This part is going to be another 10 yr venture and that's where the whole project comes to an end. Any gen av greybeard has seen this movie many times already.

Pilot-34

Yup, new folks come in here without knowing much about the topic and berate the folks who've seen this thing take shape for years now. Advice- read the whole thread before commenting and watch the videos from way back too.

This thing is never going to see production any time soon as it is now. Don't hold your breath for those vids.
Lol 350 pages is a bit much to chew through at one sitting , you can’t really blame the one ones who’s eye is caught by the thread title then read the first and last page.

rv6ejguy

Lol 350 pages is a bit much to chew through at one sitting , you can’t really blame the one ones who’s eye is caught by the thread title then read the first and last page.
Yes, tons of info here and on YT to digest for sure but I find it's the starry eyed neophytes (mostly) who are drinking the Raptor Kool-Aid and believing it all without question though I know some experienced aviation folks and even a couple engineers who think this thing has a chance. Now that is the scary part...

What was it that Adam Savage used to say on Mythbusters- "I reject your reality and substitute my own"? This seems to apply to Raptor.

Reality will settle out on Raptor pretty quickly once/if it ever flies past the end of the runway. Physics can't be ignored through ignorance or wishful thinking once you are in the air.

Last edited:

berridos

If i would be a composite company, with the aim to buy the project and optimise the structure, the molds would be worthless for modern resin infusion due to the lack of flanges. Also the molds are way too partitioned in order to have good daily production rates.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Now
here is a project that looks like it will actually meet the specs of its designer. not a dreamers webspec 'info'.

HILL HELICOPTERS
www.hillhelicopters.com

Built from the ground up and incorporating the latest structural, propulsion, navigation, and experiential technology, the HX50 is the helicopter redefined.
I looked through their web site, and never saw a helicopter.

BJC

Orange4sky

I looked through their web site, and never saw a helicopter.

BJC
Some nice pixels though. In fact, they "architected" the s*#† out of them.

Led by the inspiring vision of helicopter pioneer Jason Hill and meticulously researched and architected throughout the past 13 years,
Oh, lord, do I hate that. It's design. Architects design buildings and the built environment. They don't "architect" helicopters. A mechanic does not say "Sir, I have finished mechanicing your engine." LOL.

flywheel1935

That's the point, with decent skills in IT you can tell the world anything they want to hear !!!!!!

Hill Helicopters recently unveiled its disruptive, ground-up new helicopter, the HX50. The 5-seat, turbine-powered, 500-horsepower rotorcraft is the world’s first truly private, luxury helicopter crafted to deliver a whole new experience in safety, performance, adventure, comfort, and elegance.

Designed by a team of hand-selected, highly skilled engineers led by aeronautics engineer Dr. Jason Hill, Ph.D., the HX50 is a fusion of refined performance and artistic elegance. Its composite structure and rotor system, optimized engine, reimagined avionics, and elevated interior design together make the HX50 an exquisite, high tech and high-performance personal aircraft.

“The helicopter industry has long awaited an Elon Musk-style disruption that redefines the modern helicopter. The wait is over,” says Hill, founder and CEO of Hill Helicopters. “The only way to create something that is truly groundbreaking is to design from the ground up, giving equal focus to aerospace design, performance, and safety as well as to the artistic and experiential aspects, including comfort, ergonomics, intuitive technology, and luxury. The HX50 brings all of this together to deliver a truly unique aircraft and experience.”

Composite Integration are using their extensive experience in closed-mould and infusion process technology to design and manufacture tooling and first off components for the high performance composite fuselage. Following on from multiple recent projects for both process development and equipment design/manufacture in the aerospace sector, this project provides an excellent platform to demonstrate the company’s capabilities. Founded in 2002, Composite Integration has a proven track record of delivering new technologies, processes and production solutions into a wide variety of global sectors including aerospace, renewable energy, marine and automotive.

The HX50 is currently in the advanced design phase, with three prototypes scheduled to begin flight testing in 2022. The first deliveries are anticipated to take place in 2023.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.