Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheapracer

Log Member
If your name is either Elliot or Justin,
Without drama or being facicious, if anyone knows these guys they should be pointed to this thread, not to put them off the task, but to run through concerns raised in order for them to make considerations they may not have considered.

They are putting their lives on the line after all, so having information is a nessessary requirement in order for them to approach the task best armed to protect themselves, and aim for a safe outcome for all.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Without drama or being facicious, if anyone knows these guys they should be pointed to this thread, not to put them off the task, but to run through concerns raised in order for them to make considerations they may not have considered.

They are putting their lives on the line after all, so having information is a nessessary requirement in order for them to approach the task best armed to protect themselves, and aim for a safe outcome for all.
Good thought, and that has probably already been done, but I think any competent test pilot is going to have some design knowledge and will do his homework before he straps in. The people that really need to be made aware of this are the casual test pilots “off the street” that may be asked to fly it after the competent ones say no.

cheapracer

Log Member
I think any competent test pilot is going to have some design knowledge and will do his homework before he straps in. .
Couldn't agree more, but here is 3.5 years of condensed observations that can be read in an hour or so, it can be a part of the "homework".

pictsidhe

Peter's reaction to the jumping belt is telling.
A properly engineered belt drive will have a calculated and fairly narrow acceptable tension range. This is vital for long belt life and to avoid sudden failure. Jumping belts is an indication that you have screwed up the design or implantation. The proper solution is to find out where, and fix it. Just adding an undetermined whack of tension is a get you home bodge. It is most certainly not clearing the way for flight.

Jjc839

Peter's reaction to the jumping belt is telling.
A properly engineered belt drive will have a calculated and fairly narrow acceptable tension range. This is vital for long belt life and to avoid sudden failure. Jumping belts is an indication that you have screwed up the design or implantation. The proper solution is to find out where, and fix it. Just adding an undetermined whack of tension is a get you home bodge. It is most certainly not clearing the way for flight.
I'm not validating the design of the redrive, but he did adjust the alignment of it, not just the tension. I wish he would have kept a camera on it after the realignment though.

pictsidhe

I'm not validating the design of the redrive, but he did adjust the alignment of it, not just the tension. I wish he would have kept a camera on it after the realignment though.
Jumping teeth is from inadequate slack side tension for the instantaneous torque. Poor alignment causes other problems well before making it jump.

flywheel1935

Just seen todays YT, Peter had the nose wheel about a foot off the ground for a short period, but just at the end of the video a camera
shows one of the drive belts shredding bits of rubber as its moved across the cam-drive !!!! posted on his site, but bet he ignores my post !!!!

Surprise: Peter read my post,and his answer is, "I'm buying new belts !!!"
My response being that the re-drive design was flawed from the outset, and he owes it to his 'many customers' to consider a re-design !!!
WATCH THIS SPACE ???

Last edited:

poormansairforce

Just seen todays YT, Peter had the nose wheel about a foot off the ground for a short period, but just at the end of the video a camera
shows one of the drive belts shredding bits of rubber as its moved across the cam-drive !!!! posted on his site, but bet he ignores my post !!!!
He is already buying new belts! And he estimated that with the nose wheel off 12" he had 4" clearance at the prop....is that enough? No landing loads to squat the gear and 4"??? I can only guess at the cost of that prop and the damage that would cause. And the ailerons have a mind of their own. I'm kind of speechless......

pictsidhe

He is already buying new belts! And he estimated that with the nose wheel off 12" he had 4" clearance at the prop....is that enough? No landing loads to squat the gear and 4"??? I can only guess at the cost of that prop and the damage that would cause. And the ailerons have a mind of their own. I'm kind of speechless......
You are surprised?
I'm not.

poormansairforce

You are surprised?
I'm not.
No, I mean I'm speechless as in he is so programmed to get this done he is blind to the issues. So there is nothing left to say or think to rationalize what he is doing. We keep hoping he'll wake up but its obvious that this thing is on cruise control and there is no stopping the S.S. Venture now.:(

Latest posts