• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Racing engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Hayes

Question on auto conversions. I'll use the BMW inline six for example. I'm looking for extended over water flights of 400 miles + or -. Has anyone considered building a race engine? I know some BMW guys who can get upwarsd of 800 hp out of the six. I was thinking if you used the parts to handle this out put but detuned it to 250-300 hp. you may have something reliable to give a little hope of making it across water rather than a twin. Any thoughts. I know it would cost a bag full or money, but what's your life worth.

Back