Quantcast

Price and Contact Info is Required Information

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I have been finding items listed in our For Sale area without prices. A For Sale item with no price is not really for sale... Our posted rules on For Sale items include that a PRICE is required. You can always edit...

Over the last couple days, I prompted members with private notes to get prices on their ads, but prices did not get added, so I deleted the posts.

I will try to give warnings, but For Sale items without prices will be deleted.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'd do it like this. help to get flying "Best offer over $19.99" - Up for Trade for certain aircraft item. - At the price of $19.99 would there be Interest in you buying this item for your home built aircraft ? In my opinion only aircraft related items should be posted on HBA

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
"How does $450 sound?"

"I am thinking $3000, will negotiate"

"I am guessing $2500, what do you guys think I should be asking?"

Put a price in and then you can edit it later.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
How should someone correctly word an ad for "best offer", "trade", or "is there any interest?" in a particular item?
This is just my opinion, but I think:

Unless you'll accept $0.01 for it, "best offer" needs to include a specific amount you hope to get and/or the minimum you would take (e.g. "$50 OBO" or "Best offer over $25"). Otherwise, best offer is not accurate.

"Trade for x" or "Trade for x, y, or z", with x, y, and/or z clearly defined, should count as including a price, but just "Trade" should not. One tells the readers what you'll accept in exchange, one does not.

"Is there any interest" pretty much always depends on price, so a price should always be included in those. I'd be interested in an O-200 for $50, but not for $50,000.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Heres an option - add the price you think is fair and if it doesnt sell, you were wrong.

Also, there is no need to say "OBO", because NOBODY expects to pay asking price for ANYTHING, so it ends up as a negotiation anyway.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
In absolute fairness, if the forum moderators want to fairly and fully enforce the owner's policy of having a no-BS price, then fairness might dictate that there also be a newly added, legal, approved, not frowned-upon option for "accepting offers", or an auction, reverse auction, etc.

I would be very interested to see something like this below, specifically within our group and interests:

Let's say I have an Ivoprop Propeller. Surplus to my needs, but it may be pure gold to someone else. I don't know what someone else would pay for it, so I don't know what price to ask. So I put up a thread on HBA, "Reverse Auction, Ivoprop Model XYZ", Starting Bid $1000". Every day that goes by without someone accepting the current price, it is lowered by $100 until someone finally bites. So if it finally gets down to $400 whoever is the first one to post "Sold!" gets it for $400.

This is really not much more effort, bandwidth, or number of posts compared to if I keep updating and "top-posting" the thread manually, is it?

I hope my intention is clear enough already, but to be extra conservative I will further clarify it - I am not at all trying to circumvent the forum owner or moderators' wishes or rules, I am genuinely curious as to why, and am exploring or suggesting what might be worthwhile for them to consider approving.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
I agree, interest always depends on price. Put SOMETHING up. Asking, OBO. Whatever, but put a number up to get people in the ballpark. Also, it reduces the number of questions asked by folks that are "just wondering ".

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
A simpler solution without changing the forum settings would be to require a price in the “For Sale & Wanted” section but allow “How much is something like this worth?” threads in the “General Experimental Aviation Questions” section with instructions to that effect posted as a sticky in “For Sale & Wanted.”