• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

plywood and foam plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyvray

Model aircraft regularly use plywood-covered, foam-cored structures to produce fast building yet very strong aircraft.
I've seen many full size craft close to this (KR, Vision, Long EX) but most of these cover foam with fiberglass rather than plywood (I know, in some cases the shape would be difficult to use ply).
I'm curious why there aren't any simple standard configuration aircraft that use foam cores for structures (wings, tail feathers, turtle decks,etc) as the supporting medium and covering it with ply and fabric or lightweight glass. It seems to me that it would yield quick to produce aircraft that are easy to build and finish. It may not be the lightest or strongest, but everything's a compromise in aircraft design right?
Any thoughts?

Billyray in GA

Back