• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pietenpol Test Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

Well guys and gals today was the day! 4 years and 4 months from the day of the gear collapse my Piet has flown again! About 20 minutes before sunset the Kansas winds finally subsided, giving me a light 60deg crosswind at 4kts, I decided it was now or never so I firewalled the throttle on the overhauled A65 and off she went!

While it was calm on the ground the wind was northwesterly at around 24kts a few hundred feet up giving the air a pretty choppy feel and making it difficult to judge the rigging. It did feel just a bit left wing heavy and I was holding a good bit of aft pressure to maintain level flight. A quick look at the tail showed the elevator slightly below neutral when wings level at 75mph so it looks like I'll need elevator trim tabs. After a short 15 minute flight with the light fading I decided I better bring her in. I flew the pattern at 75, slowing up to 65 on final and crossed the numbers at 50. The result was a beautiful squeaker of a landing that I hardly even felt.

I taxied back to my hangar, switched the mags off, and spent a few moments sitting there in silence listening to the pops of the cooling engine and reflecting on the last 4 years. The damage from the gear collapse, all the workmanship issues I found as I started removing damaged parts, then the loss of oil pressure and metal in the oil screen that sent me hunting for another A65. I almost lost hope and was ready to sell her a year ago, I'm glad I didn't and tonight I got to enjoy the fruit of all my labor and boy was it sweet!

Video link

https://youtu.be/eAJ37gnuMis

Fly safe everyone
Chris

Back