Petrel Prop Jet C-FRGU

Discussion in 'Completions' started by craftsven, May 21, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 21, 2011 #1

craftsven

craftsven

craftsven

first time out.jpg My two Girls.jpg 019.jpg

C-FRGU Petrel Prop Jet
    This is my 12th and the last project. Do I have to say "One of a Kind"?

She have a tubular fuselage,fabric covered, all wood wing with Sitka Spruce spars, wing ribs made from Finnish Birch plywood, covered with 2 mm thk Birch plywood and ceconite fabric.
    The stabilizer is controlled via a linear actuator, the flaps are the Fowler type electrically operated via 2 Linear "Magnetic" actuators with a capacity of 6000N pull and 4000N push.
    Ailerons & Elevators are push/pull operated.( The Stabiizer strut is only for alignment to install flying wires)

The beautiful woman in the picture is my Trophy wife.

Seats 8 in comfort
    Gross weight 4400 lbs
    Empty weight 2100 lbs
    Length 36 ft
    Wingspan 42 ft
    Airfoil 23012 NACA
    Seats 8
    Fuel capacity 200 Gallon

Powered by a Walter 601D Turbo prop
    Propeller is an AVIA V508D, 98" Diameter, 3 blades

Aircraft is now on Wipline 4500's Amphibious Floats
    Test flying to commence by the end of this month.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
    bmcj likes this.
  2. May 21, 2011 #2

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

craftsven, you are what I would love to be. There are a few people that are as prolific as you, but not very many, I'll wager. I find it strange that we have never heard of you. Oh well, we have now! Awesome.

3. May 21, 2011 #3

orion

orion

orion

Craftsven I know we've disagreed on aspects of design/engineering but regardless, nice work! Cool hauler. Can't wait to see finished shots.

4. May 21, 2011 #4

craftsven

craftsven

craftsven

To be me you would have to add some 40+ years to your age!
    I'm living in the bush in Northern Manitoba 60 miles from closest town ( Thompson) up here there are more Moose(s) than people, many of our closest neighbors don't even know me.

All my airplanes have been built in a very small garage (12' x 20') heated with a woodstove,
    to get access to both sides of the plane I had to crawl under it, and half the plane sticking out the door. Also to keep the stove working I got a lot of excercise cutting and splitting wood.

As strange as it might sound aircraft building have never been a hobby but a neccessity as we have a Loghome that my Wife & I built 70 miles North and that is only accessible by air. It took 45 DeHavilland Turbo Otter loads to bring in the materials.The place started out small and as it grew larger planes was needed. Normally building time from conception to test flying for the majority of them was less then 2 years, and a lot of the time was spent waiting for materials from "Aircraft Spruce & Specialty".

In 2000 I received a COPA Award (AOPA in US) for my contribution to Canadian Aviation.

My Wife & I retired in 1993, and are looking forward to spend the winters in McAllen TX,
    the last 30+ years we have spent the summers up at our camp.We were flying up as soon as the Ice went normally in late May and coming out in the end of September. The Camp is now for sale and it can be seen at:

www.vacationhomerentals.com/47327

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  5. May 21, 2011 #5

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Seriously, you're over 90?

Heck, my grandfather is 87 and still in very good condition, but imagining him building and flying an airplane in such harsh conditions is pretty incredible.

6. May 21, 2011 #6

craftsven

craftsven

craftsven

Thanks Orion, it means a lot coming from you!

Being a Swede and known for our lack of social skills as well as enjoying playing the devils advocat,I am often misread.

Having been a test pilot too many times, I am not looking forward to fly the turbine,(Can't find any volunteers).

The Transport Canada requirement for a Flight Permit is 25 hrs without any design changes and testflying to be within a 25 mile radius, or you'll have to start over again from 0 hrs.

Closest runway is 60 miles away, and the plane would have to be trucked,so all my planes have been testflown on floats.
    Many years ago I used the chainsaw and made a trail from the shop to the lake, the fuselage is first moved to the shore using plywood sheets for a roadway, then the wings are carried down and installed, a chain with a "come along"is then put up between two of our large spruce trees and the plane lifted to install the floats, by that time I need a two weeks vacation.

I will post pictures and detailed test results when I'm done.
    ( This weekend the floats will be installed weather permitting)

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  7. May 21, 2011 #7

craftsven

craftsven

craftsven

I'm 68 but I feel like I'm 90, the years growing up in the Arctic Sweden (Kiruna Lapland)must have something to do with it.

8. May 21, 2011 #8

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

You've clearly never met a Dutchman :gig:
    That sounds like a pretty big job. And I thought building here would become hard (very limited space)...
    Ah, ok. While I know a 90-year old that's still flying, the thought of actually building a plane in such conditions when you're over 90 was pretty jaw-dropping to say the least.

9. Nov 29, 2015 #9

PIRATE

PIRATE

PIRATE

Hi' You and your wife are the kind of people, cut from very strong cloth that doesn't hardly exist anymore, that helped develope the north American continent into the modern meca that it is today, so that we are all able to live SUCH lavishly, lugursishly, EASY LIVES! It was my pleasure to read your post! I thank you for being the strong, dedicated people you are! I truly hope you both enjoy your lives in your new warmer place!

May God bless you!
    Arthur

10. Apr 17, 2019 #10

craftsven

craftsven

craftsven

Late reply, thanks for your kind words!