Painting with latex house paint

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have decided to use a quality latex house paint on my airplane.
If any of you have used this for yours did you use any fabric sealer or primer first or just start applying coats of paint?

Pilot-34

I’m kind of interested in why you chose to go this route?

I have done this on a couple of four-wheel-drive‘s before with the object of the game was to make it all one color and attract less attention from the cops. I was surprised at how well it worked with proper surface preparation.
I found brushing cracks crevices and corners first and then finishing the larger areas with a roller to be the optimum method on a auto.

radfordc

My Eindecker has Behr latex. No primer, just rolled on the paint.

Mcmark

Wienerdogaero.com has a complete process. If you want shiny, you can get there, just elbow grease.
I’ve done the wings on my Tailwind and a bunch of patches and pieces on the Cuby I had.

Daleandee

Mine is rolled on but I didn't use latex on the aluminum.

I noticed you called it latex house paint but I see it the other way around. When people ask why you painted your plane with house paint ask them why they painted their house with airplane paint ...:popcorn:

rv7charlie

I followed the Wienerdog aero processes fairly closely on a 1st gen Kolb Twinstar; rolled the primer and with very little sanding, sprayed the gloss yellow. Came out looking about the same as 'traditional' finishing processes on a yellow Cub. It's about 3 years old now, and while it's spent most of its life in an open hangar, it still looks pretty decent.

edit: After priming with self etch primer and Rustoleum for the steel, I even painted the steel & aluminum stuff with the yellow 'latex' (actually, acrylic, if you read the labels).

Charlie

dino

HBA Supporter
I've found looking for the labels "100% acrylic" on house paint have helped avoid old style latex emulsion paints. The new generation house paints have far superior performance.

Yellowhammer

If any of you have used this for yours did you use any fabric sealer or primer first or just start applying coats of paint?
If you want to make the brush or roller marks lay down and disappear, use an additive called Flowtrol. They make one for oil base and latex so make sure you get the correct type. You will be glad you used it.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I used Acrylic on the deck last week. Thinned it 1:1 with water and no brush marks after it dried. Sprayed it with a $7 weed sprayer and brushed it in. The spray was more like splatter but worked. Used PPG lifetime deck stain from Home Depot. Very thick so must be thinned but directions said do not thin.
I wanted a thin coat that doesn't crack and flake off. Same for fabric.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
I used Acrylic on the deck last week. Thinned it 1:1 with water and no brush marks after it dried. Sprayed it with a $7 weed sprayer and brushed it in. The spray was more like splatter but worked. Used PPG lifetime deck stain from Home Depot. Very thick so must be thinned but can said don't thin.
Thanks. I have 2 decks that needs help. I'll check the PPG out. Wife's honey do list.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I used multiple coats of thined Gidden Gripper as a primer to fill the weave, then thinned Sherwin Williams Duration for the color coat on some repairs. Worked pretty good.