P-51C at ~70% scale as ultralight?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by J.L. Frusha, Apr 30, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 30, 2019 #201

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Yup. You are like the apocryphal inventor who devised an elaborate machine for prying screws out of wood because no one told him that it helps to turn them. You suggest the most complex and impractical solutions when they are not needed. Planes like the Sky Pup and a few others prove that there is no magic or complexity required for Part 103, just light weight and plenty of wing area.

2. May 30, 2019 #202

BJC

BJC

BJC

I understand your message, but he has been told to turn them ...

BJC

cluttonfred likes this.
  3. May 30, 2019 #203

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

J.L., if you have a driver's license, you can fly with a sport pilot certificate. You do not need a third class medical and it does not matter what medication you are taking or what other health issues you have, so long as you have a driver's license. You are not stuck with 103.

4. May 30, 2019 #204

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

He saw the the following restriction for SP and believes he doesn't qualify:

• Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

5. May 30, 2019 #205

BJC

BJC

BJC

Under those circumstances, would an ultralight be any safer?

BJC

pictsidhe likes this.
  6. May 30, 2019 #206

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

Actually, the FAA says I have to be able to pass a Class 3 Medical, which I cannot do. In addition I have a low-dose opiate which also disqualifies me from being able to pass even a Class 3 Medical.

7. May 30, 2019 #207

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

But you don't even need a Sport Pilot license either. That's for carrying passengers. All you need is a valid drivers license, a student pilot certificate and a logbook with a solo endorsement.
    Then you can solo a one or two seat Light Sport. As TFF said, the two seat aircraft has more options. Especially if pilot weight is an issue. But a one seat light sport P-51 is also an option if you can find an instructor that will sign off on solo flight.
    The Light Sport rule, which was supposed to improve the ultralight situation :eek:, did also include an option for solo examination with the FAA inspector on the ground.

Medical conditions change daily. The pilot decides.

8. May 30, 2019 #208

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

Actually, I use a tipped shaft of the appropriate shape and use applied torque, to rotate an inclined plane in such a manner as to allow it to come out, unless the applicable recess is stripped, at which point I usually apply another type of inclined plane device to remove the scew and a bit of additional material, before inserting the next larger screw size that fits.

I guess you wouldn't understand. It's rather technical.

9. May 30, 2019 #209

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

I think the real issue here is that some members want me to build what they want, rather than what I want, others want me to abandon the idea altogether, while a few are offering really helpful advice, which, when applied is immediately deemed to be the wrong answer by still more members.

Point in case - for a lower wing area, you need flaps, the most effective being fowler flaps... I found a simple mechanism and was immediately told I need Titanium for the assembly, which I seriously doubt that even Boeing uses for the 777. Never mind the fact that an ultralight does not encounter the same amount of applied forces that a jumbo jet does.

10. May 30, 2019 #210

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

No, not safer, but legal.

J.L. Frusha likes this.
  11. May 30, 2019 #211

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Class 3 medical is required for private pilot, but not for sport pilot. Sport pilot requires a valid drivers license....the assumption is that if you're OK to drive you're OK to fly under SP rules. A Sport Pilot can fly a two place aircraft that weighs up to 1320 lbs gross.

But, Sport Pilot does require being able to pass both a written, oral, and practical flying exam. For someone with you're stated condition this might be a showstopper.

Ultralight doesn't require any knowledge of flying nor any examination. As long as you follow some simple rules and don't cause a risk to anyone else the FAA is OK.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  12. May 30, 2019 #212

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Sport Pilot Student doesn't require any exam other than what an instructor decides for solo.

13. May 30, 2019 #213

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Yes, but wouldn't you need an endorsement every 90 days or something? And isn't the endorsement for specific airports only? I don't know that these two things are the case, but I would expect it's similar to a private solo endorsement in these ways.

14. May 30, 2019 #214

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

As a student you do require recurring endorsements and the endorsement limits you to specific flight activities and locations. But, the question is would a CFI endorse you endlessly in lieu of you actually earning the ticket?

15. May 30, 2019 #215

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Technically I suppose. Get a half hour of instruction every 90 days if that's what the instructor or student wants.
    The student ticket is a pass to learn solo at any pace you want.
    I was at an EAA meeting and the guest speaker talked about the Flybaby he built. His instructor signed him off for solo in it. So he went ahead and did all his cross countries and came back and told his instructor, who was shocked because he hadn't endorsed him for all that. The student didn't know the rules. Things happen.

16. May 31, 2019 #216

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

In a way, we're BOTH correct on the Class III Medical. You see it one way, but not needing a Class III Medical is not the same as being able to PASS it, which I cannot do, but IS a requirement.

Hell, I've driven myself to the hospital repeatedly and been admitted for what I will not publicly state. I won't, because I've had it thrown back in my face in other forums. Thing is, people die behind the wheel for any number of health reasons and the same can and does happen in aircraft.

More than anyone I routinely communicate with, I am well aware of my own mortallity and the immediate nature of pending death. I can be paralyzed with fear, or not. I refuse to be afraid of something that will happen, anyway. To date, there is one proven way into this life and one proven way out... We are all born and we will all die.

17. May 31, 2019 #217

don january

don january

don january

sounds to me like your past the point of flying but love to build Frusha. Your trying to get your version of what would be fun in the air and on paper and built. This is a good thing and I'd say start with a rib jig and see what becomes. All of us here has some time and we can see what develops. You can talk all day but means nothing unless you start making parts. Your 103 Ideas are interesting but in truth not practical a bit but get her built and prove me wrong. fus 4.jpg

18. May 31, 2019 #218

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

[​IMG]
    I had scar tissue block the nerves to my right leg and was told I would never walk again. I convinced a VA Doctor to operate anyway. I was able to walk again the same DAY.

The government won't allow me to work, but it doesn't stop me from doing stuff that certainly looks and feels like it.

I am not past the point of flying, just narrowed down to one category that I can actually legally use without a long battle.

I wanted to be a Commercial Pilot, as a young man. Life happened and that didn't. Now, I cannot get a pilots license, simply because I cannot pass the medical. Being able to pass the Class III Medical Exam, not HAVING a Class III Medical Exam is a requirement for operating in the Sport Aircraft category, using just a Drivers License.

That narrows it to one category - FAR Part 103 - Ultralight Aircraft.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  19. May 31, 2019 #219

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

I don't know where you get this idea, but it is not supported by the FARs as far as I am aware. If it is somewhere in the FARs, please show me and I will stand corrected.

FAR 61.23 contains this unambiguous language:

upload_2019-5-30_21-28-58.png

poormansairforce likes this.
  20. May 31, 2019 #220

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

poormansairforce

There is an art to reading legalese:

Have you ever had a medical revoked?
    Have you ever failed a medical exam?
    No?
    Then you get decide if you are medically fit to fly. And holding a D.L is good enough for them. They hold no record that says otherwise.

The catch is once your on the record then your out of luck if you fail or it gets revoked. Pt 103 is off the record which is why they really don't want to be involved unless you do something stupid!

My uncle knew he would fail so he let his expire so its now off the record so to speak and he plans on doing LSA.

Its all in how it is worded.