Oshkosh 2020 Cancelled

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cblink.007

Well fam, it was sure disappointing to see the email from the EAA this morning, but, like most of you here were already thinking, the news was not exactly unexpected.

So, my group is shifting plans to the right by one year like everyone else!

robertl

I was planning on my first trip there this year (I'm 58) with my son. It was to be our first big trip and we were planning to go early to avoid the craziness given my limited experience. Oh well, I've waited this long, we'll figure out something a little closer to home (Seattle) and still have a great time I'm sure. Flying for Pilots n Paws will keep me busy.
Swoodman, how old is your son? Are you planning to drive, fly into A/V or maybe commercial? What type of arrangments did you have for overnight, camping, dorms, motel, etc? Don't mean to sound freaky, just wondering, I remember my first trip in 2011, we stayed at Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground in a little, "cabin". The only other times we went were in 2016 and we tent camped and 2018 with a pop up camper. I'm 73 now and the tent camping gets a little old real quick, for me at least. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to plan a year in advance, I've done it and put a count down timer on my computer desk top. For our 2018 trip, I went ahead and got the I-PASS, or E-PASS, (whatever they call it) and zipped through all the toll areas, it was sweet. Anyway, hope next year is going to be good for everyone.
Bob

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member
EAA 461 also lost the Cavalcade of Planes at 1C5 so we need to "embrace change" because our main fundraiser and Summer camping event are gone. I'm thinking we are going to hold our own Covid Venture event at the field (assuming if we can get permission) and then maybe in the Fall we will try a "Haunted Hangar" event to raise some money. All this is very upsetting but lets face it ladies & gents - the world is going to keep turning and we need to adjust and come back stronger!

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
All this is very upsetting but lets face it ladies & gents - the world is going to keep turning and we need to adjust and come back stronger!
+1. On the bright side: I feel very fortunate that this flying/homebuilding hobby can be pursued while abiding by the "social distancing" recommendations. Folks who square dance, etc aren't as lucky.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Mark and Bill and anyone else who wants to see “the other Oshkosh.”

As of now, I’m planning a trip to Oshkosh. We had a follow-on trip planned for the week after Oshkosh, so, if Wisconsin opens up in time, I will be there for coffee, probably on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

BJC

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
As a fellow Wisconsinite I was actually shocked this wasn’t canceled sooner. The Governor set the orders and it was clear there’s no gathering whatsoever.

Airventure takes a lot of gathering ahead of the event to plan and set things up. It would be risky (financially & legally) to even try to have Airventure or plan for it.

Attendance would likely be way down as well I’m guessing? Many of the overseas folks are still dealing with all of this.

I’m not a scientist or doctor so I can’t comment on health or right or wrong, I have no idea.

What I do know for sure is that this has been a rare and wonderful opportunity to participate in aviation because of the free time this has allowed. Little grass strips around me a seeing lots of action. It seems lots of the antique and vintage airplane guys have decided to go fly. The sky around me has never looks so great! 2 Cubs yesterday and a biplane circling overhead. I live close to a grass strip.

The aircraft suppliers I use have all told me they are swamped. That’s great!!!

And personally I’m using this free time to triple down and get a airplane built. It almost seems like a miracle to me.

Use this time wisely and be a light unto the aviation world instead of a blight. It’s a choice. Airventure 2021 will be epic I’m sure.

It was the 50th anniversary of the Pitts this year so I am pretty bummed about that, a Pitts has always been one of my favorite airplanes so the excitement of celebrating that and seeing the Pitts in attendance will be missed.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Idea?

We could start a thread and only post photos and videos from previous Airventures? That might be fun.

Zoom? I think that’s where people meet in groups over videos? Maybe during the week of Airventure we could have group video chats next to our projects or airplanes and have coffee or drinks?

Let’s make this great! Let’s make it a year to remember.

swoodman

Swoodman, how old is your son? Are you planning to drive, fly into A/V or maybe commercial? What type of arrangments did you have for overnight, camping, dorms, motel, etc? Don't mean to sound freaky, just wondering, I remember my first trip in 2011, we stayed at Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground in a little, "cabin". The only other times we went were in 2016 and we tent camped and 2018 with a pop up camper. I'm 73 now and the tent camping gets a little old real quick, for me at least. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to plan a year in advance, I've done it and put a count down timer on my computer desk top. For our 2018 trip, I went ahead and got the I-PASS, or E-PASS, (whatever they call it) and zipped through all the toll areas, it was sweet. Anyway, hope next year is going to be good for everyone.
Bob
Hi,
My son is 21 and in ROTC for the AIr Force. We will eventually fly our 1977 Piper Archer in via Fisk and we were planning to camp. Our first time we were planning to do the penultimate tent thing because I knew finding something would be crazy difficult and you just have to do that once I figure. I'll look into the passes for next year - thanks for the suggestion.

crusty old aviator

I was wondering how many will show up anyway, because they “didn’t get the memo” or just because that’s what they do every summer.
Is the museum even open?
I was wondering if I’d get yelled at for landing at Pioneer, since my Collegiate is pre-war...and if they did yell at me, I’d just say, “fine, I’ll donate her to a different museum,” and fly away.

TFF

Unless they add a NOTAM, the airport should be under normal operation. I’m sure if a thousand planes showed up, they would turn people away. I would think landing at Pioneer without prior ok, would cause some consternation since it requires permission to use anyway. How strict I don’t know.

I turned away from the museum last year because of some event, Grrr.

People who live close are lucky. It’s a 4 hour ride in a RV or an 11 hour drive. No distance record, but it’s no pop over to say hi without planning on a normal year.

dragon2knight

HBA Supporter
Idea?

We could start a thread and only post photos and videos from previous Airventures? That might be fun.

Zoom? I think that’s where people meet in groups over videos? Maybe during the week of Airventure we could have group video chats next to our projects or airplanes and have coffee or drinks?

Let’s make this great! Let’s make it a year to remember.
Great idea on posting last/other years. Maybe I'll start it up 👍 AS for Zoom....another more secure way to do it might be in order. Skype and others are available, I'll update this post with a safer one.

UPDATE: Googles own Google Meet (free, also works really easily) would be a safer alternative for virtual meetups than the security flaw ridden Zoom.

Last edited:

billyvray

Well, this was last year at Sun-n-Fun - I know, different place, but since it was canceled too...
I've been to Oshkosh a bunch in the past, but Lakeland is a lot easier for us to get to and with friends in Orlando it makes sense. I hope to bring these boys to Oshkosh soon as they're big enough to handle it now. I had a great time and they legitimately enjoyed themselves. Meeting the Blue Angels in the VIP tent was pretty cool too.

sunnfun.jpg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Supreme Court just shut down our Governor in Wisconsin. Looks like we’re open now. EAA won’t change their position but part of me is still hoping. Haha

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Supreme Court just shut down our Governor in Wisconsin. Looks like we’re open now. EAA won’t change their position but part of me is still hoping. Haha
It will be interesting what this decision does to EAA membership numbers, which I suspect are usually inflated by those who purchase an annual membership as a tradeoff of weekly convention admission.