• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Optimal wing incidence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

I started building an RC aircraft to be able to design an aircraft, and better understand the theory. As a sort of rule of thumb, I have noticed that many aircrafts with flat bottom airfoils, have the lower surface parallel to the bottom of the fuselage.

The wiki tells that a common angle of incidence in sport aircraft is 6º. In my case I picked the NACA 4418, because it is the most possible thick airfoil for optimal strength. I followed Pazmany's advice, and picked an Aspect Ratio of 7 as a good compromise.

According to Theory of wing sections. The optimal region for cruise for the NACA 4418, is between 0 and 0,6 CL, that is between -4 and +6 degrees.

My lift slope for a finite wing of Aspect ratio 7, is around 0,08 per degree of AoA. I picked 0 degrees angle of incidence, which results in a CL of around 0,32 for cruise. I did not mess much with reynold numbers for my model though.

A more experienced RC builder told me that a few more degrees, of wing incidence, lower surface parallel to the fuselage, would be better for taking off, but with flaps it would be OK.

By following my approach, the flat bottom of the airfoil is not parallel to the bottom of the fuselage. Am I doing something wrong, by trying to optimize the angle of incidence, instead of sticking to the tradition of the lower surface parallel to the bottom/6º wing incidence?

What I did copied from other airplanes, is a decalage for the horizontal tail, parallel to the center line/ bottom of the fuselage. The slipstream of the wing, gets to the horizontal stab with enough incidence to provide negative lift.

Below are pictures of some random airplanes, with the lower camber parallel to the bottom of the fuselage. The only exception is the Dornier 27, which is a STOL airplane, and my RC aircraft which is the opposite; the lower camber has a negative angle relative to the bottom of the fuselage.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts about this issue!

Cheers

Oriol

4418 angle of attack.png4418 cl.png

dornier_do_128_2-81042.jpg
image01.jpg
Aircraft_Angle_of_Incidence_(improved)--1080x660--25Mar2009.jpg
sph72327b (2).jpg
20230612_110041 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 1967_Aztec_C250_s-1-pdf.jpg
    1967_Aztec_C250_s-1-pdf.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0