Olds engine in a plane......circa 1964!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

Supporting Member
There is a Bearhawk flying that has an 60's aluminum block V-8 Buick engine. The Olds and Buick are the same engine except for the heads. Both engines can be made up to 350 ci.

I have a 1962 Buick 225 CI, 200 HP, Alum block V-8 in my 1968 VW bug. Ready to paint. Been thinking of pulling it out and putting a 1915 cc VW engine in instead. The Buick has a 10.5/1 compression ratio, and it needs a higher octane fuel than what I can buy at the pump. If I put it out, it will be for sale.
Dan

Last edited:

RJW

“…actually put a plane into flight…attaining a rate-of-climb of 1000 feet a minute!” Pretty funny.

I wonder how much that all-iron Olds weighed. Wonder what they used for a PSRU. The picture shows the prop well above the crank centerline.

Rob

Brian Clayton

“…actually put a plane into flight…attaining a rate-of-climb of 1000 feet a minute!” Pretty funny.

I wonder how much that all-iron Olds weighed. Wonder what they used for a PSRU. The picture shows the prop well above the crank centerline.

Rob
Hard to see in this pic, but from looking at the magazine, the prsu looks wide....like a belt. It even has the factory round air cleaner on it....

Pops

Supporting Member
The 60's aluminum block Buick V-8 that is in the Bearhawk has a belt drive PRSU. The owner says it preforms equal with a Lyc -540, 260 hp powered Bearhawk. You can take the Buick 225 CI engine like I have and put in a later crank with a larger stroke, increase the bore, add fuel injection, (LandRover used a later version of the same engine with fuel injection). Its a very light weight engine for the HP.
Dan

TFF

This is Wittmans engine. I have 2 olds 215s and a Range Rover with the 247/3.9

Attachments

• 215.jpg
    215.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 928

Brian Clayton

The 60's aluminum block Buick V-8 that is in the Bearhawk has a belt drive PRSU. The owner says it preforms equal with a Lyc -540, 260 hp powered Bearhawk. You can take the Buick 225 CI engine like I have and put in a later crank with a larger stroke, increase the bore, add fuel injection, (LandRover used a later version of the same engine with fuel injection). Its a very light weight engine for the HP.
Dan
Same engine was used in the triumph tr8 if I am not mistaken. A few other british cars too, I remember several running in the SCCA vintage stuff. I always thought they were neat, compact engines. Too bad NASCAR dropped the v6 stuff, there was a lot of alum v6 blocks and heads for more modern engines floating around in the early 90's.

stol

Same engine was used in the triumph tr8 if I am not mistaken. A few other british cars too, I remember several running in the SCCA vintage stuff. I always thought they were neat, compact engines. Too bad NASCAR dropped the v6 stuff, there was a lot of alum v6 blocks and heads for more modern engines floating around in the early 90's.

That is only half true.....

Aluminum blocks have always been illegal in NASCAR...... You can run aluminum heads though...

cheapracer

Rover bought the Tooling from Buick about 1965 and produced the 3.5 V8 for many years and yes it was used in the TR8.

Rover V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a 3.5 laying around back in Oz, very light at about 330lbs complete running engine, no exhaust headers.

TFF

I dont know the weight but the block is about 60 lbs. The engine is lighter than the MGB 4 cylinder when they did V8 versions. Length is a little longer than a IO-360 at and about 3/4 as wide. Yahoo Groups is an article on Wittman's engine if you are on the Tailwind Yahoo group.

Georden

Why use a 60s engine when new aluminum LS series engines are available? An inverted direct drive LS-1 stroker would be interesting and they can go to over 400ci.

Last edited:

Pops

Supporting Member
My 1962 Buick engine with an oversize oil pan, but without the heavy cast iron headers and alt., was 75 heavier than the complete VW engine ready to run. In the morning I will walk out to the hanger and measure the length and width. Dan

cheapracer

Why use a 60s engine when new aluminum LS series engines are available? An inverted direct drive LS-1 stroker would be interesting and they can go to over 400ci.

There is still a big weight difference between the Rover and the LS* series.

As mentioned, the Rover is 330lbs, later 3.9 and 4.2 are 350lbs and an LS sits at a verifyable 475lbs, note the 3.9 and 4.2 have 4 bolt crossbolt bottom ends.

Oh, and it isn't just a "60's" engine, read through the link ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

RJW

GM/SAE gives the weight of a “dressed” LS1 for an automatic transmission at 457 pounds. I don’t know what “dressed” means so take this number for what it’s worth. And then there is the attached picture…

Toobuilder, did you ever weigh your LS motor?

330 pounds for a running Buick/Rover seems light. On the other hand an old article from Contact says the component weights including flywheel of the Buick add to 290 pounds.

I just weighed a tiny GM 3.1 liter 60-degree V6 with an iron block and aluminum everything else, right after I pulled the engine from the car. It came in at a surprisingly fat 385 pounds. Some of this weight might be from my old bathroom scale/two-by-four measuring setup.

A running Rover at 300 pounds would be a great motor. With a light PSRU a very smooth and durable 200HP FWF package of only about 400 pounds would be possible. I wish there were more of these motors around these parts.

Rob

DSC_0353.jpg

Last edited:

cheapracer

This is my actual Land Rover Discovery 3.5 1990's engine....

Attachments

• rover1.jpg
    rover1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 302